Amsterdam Day 9


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
December 23rd 2014
Published: December 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

I woke up to Adam shaking me... It was about 10 am, and he really wanted to get a move on with his day. I didn't realize he would be so excited and energized like this, he is really great to travel with.

We went to the coffee shops before getting something to eat. He wanted to see as many different shops as possible, because they all have different environments and vibes. We were at this place called "Justin's" for about an hour, and we left at noon to go find that Italian restaurant that had treated us so well the other day. I was pretty surprised that these coffeshops get so much foot traffic in the mornings, people really love their weed around here.

After having another round of calzones from the other day, we decided to try and check out the Anne Frank House, hoping we could get inside within half an hour. We finally arrived to Prisnegracht street, where the house in which Anne and her family along with several other Jews were hiding in was locate during the Nazi regime. It would have been great to check it out, had the line not been backed up all the way until the next block... we were looking at a 2 hour waiting period, at least. Sure, the entry fee was a reasonable 9 euros, but time is money and we both agreed that it wasn't worth it to wait such a ridiculous amount of time. I took a picture of the outside of the house, which I remember seeing one the back covers of the books that I read about Anne, and we left to go find a supermarket.

We wanted to go out later, and we figured it would be better to buy some alcohol at the store so that we wouldn't spend so much at bars. We stocked up at Alber Heijn (or whatever it's called), and then left all of our purchases back at the hotel before going to an asian buffet that we were both starving for. It was the same place that I had gone to with Will and Joon, called Genroku, and Adam couldn't wait to get his hands on all the food. However, on the third round of orders, he couldn't keep up anymore.... I had to finish most of the 4th round, and we didn't even reach the fifth and final round. (The buffet works by picking 5 dishes per person for each round, and you get 5 rounds, which is plenty in my opinion). We left completely full, almost too full to walk.

We hit up some bars afterwards, and had an awesome time just catching up for all the lost time we hadn't spent together. You know who you're closest with when you can almost pick up where you left off the last time you saw them.

I wanted to show Adam the red light district, because I felt that it was quintessential Amsterdam.. An powerful mix of entertainment and vice that borders illegality. We didn't do anything at all except walk around and see all the girls that were trying to convince every guy to sleep with them for money.. Adam was actually disgusted with how much they get around, a very disturbing thought. We stayed up pretty late tonight, jumping from bar to bar and eventually being kicked out for closing time. Another great night in Amsterdam, and a nice way to leave the place in my opinion.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb