Liberation Day


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
May 5th 2007
Published: May 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The festivalThe festivalThe festival

Sat at the back of the seats, good view all around
It seems to be cloudy most mornings to fine for the reat of the day. Stayokay is a massive hostel and pretty good as well. Had a massive included breakfast today, big line though. Decided to visit the Van Gogh Museum which was really interesting. There were about 200 paintings an seeing so many in order you eally get to notice his style an how it changed during his years. Saw the Potato Eaters nad one of his famous Sunflowers, but found others i enjoyed more. The audio guide helped emensly with the history. Got a tram up to Dam Square, where all the human statues and street acts were out on show. Had herd there was something going on for Liberation Day in the park across from the Rijksmuseum. It was called the Bevrijoings Festival an had about 3 stages an stalls set around the park. I spent the next 6 hrs in the small stand opposite the main stage, it was such a great eye opener to the dutch an their culture. They really love their reggae, funk an hip hop in this town. The first act, Karmakonga was a funky 9 peice an then an act came on kind of like the Resin Dogs an Black Eyed Peas mixed in. A group of Americans doing their masters over here sat next to me for a chat. Learned from a local that Liberation Day was when Holland/Neth were un-occupied by the germans after WW2. There were images in the Square of that happening, haunting to have been involvedso violently in the war that was so historical. It was interesting to be here on this day. The message was of freedom, expression of choice, reconciliation and acceptance an thats what i could really sum up about this city and their way of life. Bikes streaming the streets, people sitting out smoking on the pavement. Everyone in different styles of clothing but no-one seems to be bothered or rushed, totally different to London.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb