Short Trip


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
May 4th 2007
Published: May 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Woke up at 6.30am to get on the packed out tube that took 1 1/2 hrs to get to Heathrow, plenty of time. Didn't spend much time in the air, really just got up then started coming down again to arrive in Amsterdam. Got a train to Centraal Station an tram 5 down to the district where im staying, to easy. Was a hot day an already 3.30 so decided to go to the Anne Frank House. Great 1/2hr walk along the canels, nearly got knocked over by a bike, they're crazy over here. The house was amazing, I got goose bumps going into the rooms. Really well done with lots of exhibits. Decided to get lost in some streets, all really quaint and tiny lanes for foot passengers, bikes an cars. Ended up in Dam Square where people were milling around barricades. Found out it was Rememberance Day in the Netherlands, so quite well timed for AF house visit. Got right near the front of the memorial, by the time it started there were a couple of thousand in the square. Big screens set up, an there was a procession to the monument, me, 10m away from Queen Beatrice an lots of diggers to put wreaths on. Obviously couldnt really understand language but got the gyst of what they were talking about. Funny moment, a important lady was laying a wreath an as the camera zoomed in on her, it was obvious she had had to much botex, quite funny her face was so contorted, the crowd all hushed giggles!! A warped version of the last post was played, it sort of sounded what i used to play but not really. Walked back to hostel an had tea at Wok to Work, great tucker. Across the road was a place called Australian, an icecream store?? Not very Aussie. Karen an Ashley are in my room, the actually met while studying in Brisbane, UQ!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb