Ampelmann Rules


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
May 10th 2007
Published: May 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Berlinwas such an eyeopener, so much recent history and so potent it was overwelming. Rained on the bus all the way to Berlin. Going on the Autobahn was an experience, unlimited speed so some cars were just racing down. Met some great people that have got around this city with. Most of them were starting in Amsterdam so that was good. Met jenny, andrew an Adrian and had a few drinks in the hostel. We all went to this place called AM PM in the Market and had some pizza before dancing the night away there, best way to get to know people. It was packed for a Monday night. Started the morning off with the walking tour. A great 4 hrs spent, really great informative guide. Weather wasn't the best though. Visited Museum Island first, the buildings in this place are just spectacular, everything looks like it should be in Museums, not just decorations on a Bridge. Some of the walls still had shell holes from the bullets. Next Bebelplatz, the scene of the first book burning of the Nazi's in front of the library. There is this memorial underneath the ground that you look down with empty shelves, enough for the 20,000 that were burned. We went to Checkpoint Charlie which is something to see. Nothing of what it used to be like. There was an open exhibition all along the road which showed all the stories. The soviets were at the checkpoint today. Above there is a sign that on one side has a soviet soldier and the other side an American, bit of a reminder. Went to see a peice of the wall that still stands, its thinner then what i expected. You pass over it all the time on the roads because it wasn't a straight line at all. Next was Hitlers Bunker. Its not offically recognised or signed and now on top is a car park, but it was massive and when they tried to blow it up from the inside the roof only raised 6 inches so they had to take it apart peice by peice. The memorial to the Murdered Jews was amazing, 3 football fields of grey blocks of different hights and floor heights. Such a weird experience walking through, caused alot of contriversy in Berlin. The Brandenburg Gate os a very impressive peice of architecture and has been in many different states of disrepair over the years. While we were under it a massive storm went over for about 5 min, rain going sideways through the pillars, not much protection 😊 Finished with the Reichstag which is still impressive. We looked over to the TV Tower as well. The story goes east germany were trying to show off how modern they could be, yet two things reallyset them back. Firstly they did such a dodgy job they had to get a swiss operater to finish it, secondly when the sun hits the windows it makes a massive white cross, definatly not what they wanted. Great little figure thats here is called Ampelmann. East an West have different men on there walking crosses. East have just a normal one but west have this little man with a top hat an he has become a real symbol of Berlin, so one way you can tell were you are is from the crossings. The city actually sits on a swamp an every now an then you get a whiff of sewage from potholes in the ground. Its crazt to think of still so much construction everywhere still from the wars, cranes fill the skyline. That night went on the pub crawl with most people from Busabout. Had Berliner beer an Jagermeisters.Next day visited Charlie Checkpoint Museum filled with all the escape plans. The Americans were at the Checkpoint this time. That night went up the Reichstag to the veiwing dome. Very controlled lines getting in, like animals being herded into all little rooms before we got to the top, massive security. The top was a great view and walking out the spirally dome. Walked back to a German Restaurant and the 4 of us had traditional Weiner Schnitzel for one of the boys B'days. It was crazy being in this city with so much history that happened in my lifetime, some buildings are still there bombed out, and all there memorials to those they affected with different regimes, so accepting and not hiding their past.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb