Our hotel


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Brabant » Den Bosch
June 1st 2009
Published: June 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Last night was interesting at the Hotel Flipper but we mostly slept. We slept until around 5am and then we couldn't sleep anymore. We got up and showered and went out to breakfast. The room was small and there were only about 5 tables, but there still managed to be 3-4 languages going on. The hotel owners speak Chinese, we speak English, and there were French people behind us. They had a little girl who was about 3 and was yelling in French. Adorable. We decided to stuff ourselves because finding food that is cheap is kinda hard. We took a tram to Centraal Station and then tried to find a train to the airport. A train pulled up and we didn't know if it was the right one so I asked people who were getting on board who were obviously American. They said it was the right train so we sat beside them and started to talk. They are from Columbus Ohio and are here for 5 years to build a church or something. Their daughter was visiting from OH for two months and she told us that she dressed as JoePa for Halloween last year. They are all big PSU fans. So what's the chances of running into these people 3700 miles from home? The girl gave us her phone number and told us to call if we wanted a tour of Amsterdam. We finally made it to the airport and I got my jacket back from Continental...yeah I left it on the plane. We met up with all of the other students and our professor and piled into a bus to Den Bosch. The professor had to stay because somebody's flight was delayed so we ended up riding with this guy Hans who spoke very little English. He decided to try to tell us things about cities that we passed and he told us that the Dutch discovered and created Brooklyn because they believe in the survival of the fittest. I guess history is different over here? We finally get near Den Bosch and start going down this dirt road. Christen is asking him if we can stop at a bathroom and he completely ignored her at times, but sometimes would blurt out something random like "we're in Holland". Hilarious. Hans stops in the middle of the road and says "the navigation says that the hotel is here" and points at a field. We told him to keep going and we finally saw a tiny sign for our hotel. He wasn't sure that it was the right place but dropped us off anyway when we assured him that it was. The Dutch people that owned the place looked quite intimidated when we walked in and finally figured out that we wanted keys and rooms. All of the rooms were ready but mine...of course. While we were waiting for the rooms and the kitchen to open for lunch, we all decided to try out our spiffy new bikes by riding down the paths. We found an awesome lake with tons of people in it and crystal clear water. I definitely think it's gonna be a hang-out at night. We had lunch but the menu was entirely in Dutch so we went with the safe choice of toasties and water or pop. We asked if we could do laundry and they said yes. We asked where and got "uh, we will discuss that and get back to you". Jeez. Everybody took a nap and we went out for dinner towards town. It was about a 2 mile bike ride but it was good and they knew enough English to serve us. We were told when we signed up that everybody here knows English...hahaha. No. Guess we'll have to learn some Dutch 😊 Ok, time for bed.

Advertisement



2nd June 2009

Sweet!
OMG sounds like today was quiet a day over in Holland! Hahaha I'm glad you made it to the hotel ok babes and it sounds like you'll have fun by the lake and what not. I'm also glad you got your jacket back, that would have sucked. I hope your getting some sleep and feeling better. Txt or call whenever, I'm missing you 24 hours a day. <3

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0725s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb