Montegreno Riviera


Advertisement
Europe » Montenegro » Ulcinj
June 30th 2015
Published: July 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

MONTEGRENO 2

The French Riviera was along time ago.

Ah – those balmy beaches of St Tropez Frejis and Cannes. Bodies laid out on those funny deck chairs. All in columns and rows along a rocky shore, with an azure blue sea and patches of turquoise where snorkelers swim.

Well here we are at Ulcinj on the Montegreno Riviera. Not as big as the French show. Not as flash- Indeed markedly downmarket compared to Monaco– like dropping down from Little Cove Noosa to Beachmere instead. Except that Beachmere has year round warmth, grassy foreshores, and sand. Sand sand – glorious sand. No sand sighted yet on the Mediterranean, Adriatic or Ionian seas. Here at Ulcinj its big rocks, little rocks, big pebbles, little pebbles, and sharp edged grit. Not much of a surface to promenade on or lounge about on. Hence the deck chairs.

The beach chairs look just as ridiculous at Ulcinj as at Cannes. Rocks break down to pebbles and eventually fine gravel as you move from the foreshore to the waterline.

But this is life for Europeans. Many feel very lucky to have a holiday break at a one of these beaches. They bask in the sunshine- It must feel good after their bleak winters.

We stay at a nice campground – Friendly owners, a clean ablution block, set in a 1000 year old olive grove right across the road from the beach. Warmth, sun shining from a brilliant blue cloudless sky, friendliness and a general feeling of holidaymaking set a relaxed resort like atmosphere. In the afternoon they close off the skinny street that is too narrow for 2 way traffic or for traffic and parking to make a sort of mall. That same street we had earlier threaded Skippy along between parked cars, street vendors and traffic working against the grain.

Montegreno offers good value when you can find facilities for travellers. Two campsites in Ulcinj offer great value. Their shops offer excellent value for money on stuff like grog, groceries and goodies .


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



15th July 2015

Travel Blogs
Vince & Pauline - good to have more travel updates after a bit of a lull - you seem to be having an interesting adventure - have settled into life at Sippy Downs - have been going to the Maroochydore Botanical Gardens of a Tuesday and doing some fairly hard work at times. Have joined U3A and really only got into one course. Kathy is looking for a job still but lots of people up here are in the same situation. Looking forward to your next blog. Regards, James & Kathy

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb