Heads or Tails??


Advertisement
Europe » Montenegro » Ulcinj
July 15th 2007
Published: July 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Two girls travelling together let's not kid ourselves, decision time is not our strong point...we have decided to leave our fate to the flip of a coin!! So far we haven't been dissappointed!
Leaving Albania to cross the border in Montenegro was an adventure we ended up taking a taxi accross and he took care of the paper work! brilliant!!
We stopped booking our accomodation ahead of time and felt like it was catching up when we found out the Rolling Stones were playing a sold out concert in Budva our next "planned" destination!! So we flipped a coin at the border town of Ulcinj, Montenegro, (heads we stay, tails we go) heads it was and we ended up staying two nights here!! Although a border town Ulcinj has a 12km stretch of beautiful beach, it's a favorite holiday destination for locals, Serbians, Russian, Italians the list goes on...nice and cheap, quint and charismatic it was perfect!!!
Next stop was Kotor still in Montenegro, this city is still in the heart of a fortress set in the mountains, the most picturesques city and unique to get lost in the winding coble stone streets!! Heads we would go right tails we would go left it was so much fun to stumble upon old churches, cafes and just to watch people go about their daily lives!! Thanks to the coin we found ourselves dinning with a string orchestra performance in the square, and finished the night watching the local kids recital! They were adorable in their traditional wear dancing on stage!!
The daughter of the family convinced us that we should really check out the club in the old town as it was one of the best clubs in Europe(of course it's the "best club in Europe" they all are!!) but really how could we pass up the oppertunity to see for ourselves!! It was great to see as the club was bustling with locals singing and dancing the night away, we thought we were fitting right in there till a local came up in english to ask us where we were from, he said he knew we weren't from around as we weren't singing to the songs....they were serbian songs how could we fake that?? Not sure if it was the best in Europe but we deffinately had a good time!!
We ended up taking the local bus over to Budva as we felt we couldn't miss the atmosphere that surrounds this town. What an energetic beach town with loads of activities off the shores! Famillies would come to enjoy trampolines, waterslides, gokarting bungie jumping while indulging in pizza and ice cream and cooling off in the ocean! what a perfect way to spend the day at the beach!!
Montenegro we found to be lushusly green with wonderful people and so warm towards us. It has been such a pleasure to travel within this area where it's so obviously off the backpacker root, we should be so proud to be Canadians. The way their faces light up when they discover where we have travelled from to see their country is so genuin you can't help but fall in love!! I must admit we found it a bit confussing at times.....you know when you are a kid and you play "no means yes and yes means no?" well it was very much like this in Montenegro and Albania!!! They all nod to say No and shakes their head to mean Yes!!! you can imagine you ask someone if you can stay for 3 nights and they shake their heads...should you stay or should you go???? we never knew if they were changing for us knowing that it was opposite for us.....we'd always look at each other in confusion and flip a coin!!!
lots of love Bridge!


Advertisement



24th July 2007

hey!
oh bridge! you look so cute with this lil coin! I could just picture the both of you flipping the coin....and running to see which side it falls on! haha....you girls make me laugh!!! miss you sooo much!!! take care!!!
29th January 2008

Thank you:)
I am from Ulcinj and Iwant to thank you for those nice comments about Ulcinj and Montenegro:)

Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0988s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb