Day 1.. Montenegro, Prcanj


Advertisement
Europe » Montenegro » Kotor » Kotor
June 6th 2008
Published: June 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Here we are at last. After a short stint on the plane we arrive in Croatia and drive the fifteen minutes to the border, to what use to be until a short while ago the planets newest country.

This will be my fifth journal. Three of them along the Adriatic. Croatia. Slovenia and now Montenegro. I use write them for my own pleasure something to read back on in years to come. But hey I thought. I could put them on a travelblog site so others could read and hopefully get a little useful information from it.

The weather here is just right and the scenery is breathtaking and is akin to the Alps. It is almost tempting to go mountain biking but I wouldn't know where to start. The mountains are a bit to steep for me here. But there is always a bay side bar and a nice cool beer to drink.

Our first impressions of the way Montenegrians drive is an eye opener. They quite happily drive straight in front of you and then blame you by tooting there horn at you.

We drove round to Kamenari and took the ferry across the Kotor Bay to Prcanj. We spotted a few good restaurants by the waters edge that will warrant further investigation. But first to meet up with Rida so she can show us to our apartment.

Around Kotor bay the road is very narrow with passing points every so many yards. The thing you have to do is look way ahead and hope you can get to a passing point before you meet a vehicle coming the opposite direction as the won't stop at the passing point and then make it impossible for the two of you to pass. Driving out here is like a game of dodgems, so lets hope we keep missing.

It is so idyllic and quiet round here. Tess keeps wanting to run into the mountains and sing The hills are alive . . . , it is that sort of place but you can guarantee some Montenegrians would watch with bemusement. Apart from singing in the mountains I hope we find things to do.
I have found that some of the locals can be a little on the miserable side and for me that's saying something as Tess would possibly say I am the most miserable person around.

Once we had settled in and made the place ours we took a walk along one of the most dangerous roads going. We thought it was bad driving along it, but walking you have too have your wits about you. Our target was the Splendido hotel. Which sure lives up to its name. The location for our meal by the Kotor bay was top notch. The service was perfect and to top it all the food was excellent all at quite a reasonable price. Then the dangerous stroll back to our apartment had to be endured.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb