Valletta, Malta. January 16, 2016


Advertisement
Malta's flag
Europe » Malta
January 30th 2016
Published: January 30th 2016
Edit Blog Post

ValettaValettaValetta

Fascinating architecture!
Saturday, Jan. 16. Valletta, Malta. Cool 13C. Rainy and increasing wind during the day.

Jane - Wow! What architecture! Everywhere you turn there is a postcard picture. Very old town. Steeped in history. Fortified walls, arches, churches and columned buildings... Walked. Ended up going to the Presidential Palace and Armoury Museum. Well presented, with excellent commentary. Rain eased up. Off to find wifi. Pizza Hut. Had a wee meal and caught up in FB, blog, etc. then off to explore once again. Ended up at Hastings Garden and, oh!, the views! Absolutely spectacular! Wandered a bit more then made our way back to the ship. Bought a hand painted tile with the Maltese Cross. First souvenir of the trip.

Paul - The history of this place is deep, varied and violent as hell. The Knights of St. John merrily slaughtered thousands for the varied and myriad crimes of not being Christian, and reveled in the blood shed for God by those who dared to think in other ways. They were expelled from Jerusalem and moved to occupy strategic Malta as a defensive point protecting the western Med. And defend they did. The Moors, for example, who were killed storming
ValettaValettaValetta

Entrance to library. For research only, not open to public.
the battlements had their heads returned to their brothers across the harbour as cannonballs.

This was done to preserve the purity of Christianity, while monasteries and nunneries across Europe furiously repeated millions of Hail Marys in an attempt to gain forgiveness for those violating the Word of God in the Name of God. Popes sold very expensive dispensations during these times, leading to the dual papacies of Rome and Avignon. I refer to this period, during which the entirety of Europe had been excommunicated by one Pope or the other, as the simultaneous reigns of the Discount Pope versus the Retail Pope.

The Maltese themselves, according to a Malta-born Aussie on board, are fiercely proud of their violent heritage and resist efforts to whitewash it. Over their seven thousand year history, they have been invaded and taken by every each and every Med power, from the Phonecians to the British.They resent the cleaned-up tourist face of the holy knights defending the true face of God and see little difference between being bombarded by the Axis or by the Ottomans. These are not a people to annoy, as vengeance is bred in the blood.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

ValettaValetta
Valetta

In the Presidential Palace.
ValettaValetta
Valetta

The Armoury Museum. Very well done.
ValettaValetta
Valetta

View from Hastings Park. Spectacular!
ValettaValetta
Valetta

Old fort in the background...surprise, surprise!


Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb