Piraeus (Athens), Greece. January 18, 2016


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
January 30th 2016
Published: January 30th 2016
Edit Blog Post

AthensAthensAthens

High stepping guards at Presidential Palace.
Monday, Jan. 18. Piraeus, Greece. Cloudy, cold, chance of rain. 6C!!

Set off at 8:45. Sophia was our guide. Gave us a history of Piraeus, which in its current state is an industrial port town less than 100 years old, having been rebuilt after both natural and manmade disasters, most recently . As we approached central Athens itself, we started to see the ruins of many temples, ancient agoras, etc., along with lots of Orthodox churches.

Construction is a problem in these ancient Greek places as one never knows what even a shallow shovel may unearth. One of the prizes of Piraeus is a series of statues unearthed by workmen digging a drain. They revealed what is thought to be a stash of loot forgotten by invading Romans, over two thousand years ago. And of course Athens' subway project found layer upon layer of alternating indigenous and invading influences.

To the base of the Acropolis with Temple of Athena. The restoration and rebuilding is all really astounding given the problems they have with using and transporting materials consistent with ancient methods, and the ancient engineers are given a great deal of respect. In 1687, the invading Venetians lobbed
AthensAthensAthens

Theatre at the base of the Acropolis.
a shell into the Ottoman munitions dump inside the temple, and since then, researchers have collected, identified and replaced over 1600 chunks of marble blown across the hilltop. Rusty, iron braces which cracked the marble with expansion and contraction have been replaced with titanium ones

We did not go all they way to the top, but lookouts on the sides of the central plateau afford incredible views of the city valley and its off-white buildings stretching to the sea and to the surrounding hills.

Magpies everywhere! Saw ruins of Temple of Zeus; Hadrian's Gate. Many restoration projects ongoing. Lack of funds slow things down. To old town of Praka...very much a market place. Lunch included in tour. Restaurant in Praka. Lunched with Barbara from Oakville, Colette and Bernie from Napanee and Kees and Henny from Holland. Excellent food and very young wine. Then we were let loose in the shopping district for about an hour. Did not find anything unique. The used furniture shops were fascinating. Could spend much more time there! Many stray cats and dogs. They do not seem to be mistreated.

On our way in and out of central Athens, we stopped at several
AthensAthensAthens

Roman agora (market) from 1st century BC.
places for photos and views. Our bus driver got us to the Presidential Palace in time for the changing of the guard, an involved spectacle of high-stepping elite guards. They wear incongruously mammoth clogs and oddly ruffled military skirts. These are no ceremonial positions, as the guards are chosen for, much like the Beefeaters who guard the Tower of London and the Crown Jewels, their size, toughness and career performance.

Then back on the bus and to the port. So it is, the curse of cruising, to walk away from many museums unseen, phyllos untasted, corners unturned and locals unmet.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

AthensAthens
Athens

Hadrian's Gate.
AthensAthens
Athens

More Roman agora.
AthensAthens
Athens

Carillon?
AthensAthens
Athens

The Acropolis and the Temple of Athena.
AthensAthens
Athens

Temple of Zeus.


Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0695s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb