World Cruise 9


Advertisement
Malta's flag
Europe » Malta » Malta » Valletta
April 6th 2023
Published: April 6th 2023
Edit Blog Post

World Cruise 9



Posted Thursday 6th April. Due in Malta tomorrow, Good Friday.





Thursday 16th March



Port Klang for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.



Malaysia is half on the Peninsula and part on the island of Borneo.

Port Klang is the 7th largest container port in the world.

The port is 8 miles from Klang town and 25 miles from Kuala Lumpur on the Malaysian peninsula.

Klang is on the Klang River in the Klang valley with a small Palace, industrial and commercial.

Kuala Lumpur is the political and commercial capital of Malaysia, Putrajaya is the administrative capital.

On 31st August 1957 the British Flag came down and the Malaysian flag was flown in Independence Square to signal Independence.

Sights in KL are the King’s Palace, the National Mosque, one of the minarets is 240feet tall, the Railway Station, with turrets, minarets and arches, and Mogul architecture, the Sultan Abdul Samed Building.

The National Museum of KL shows the Malaysia of the little people, built in the style of a Malay Palace. The Central Market has wooden carvings and batiks.

The Petronas Towers at 452m can withstand wind power up to 192 mph and you can dine at 282 m above the ground.

It has 32,000 windows, 88 storeys, and a Sky Bridge between the two towers at level 41, 170m above the ground.

Perdana Botanical Gardens , the Lake Garden, originates from 1888 and has the Butterfly Park, 80,000 sq ft and 5 thousand butterflies.

There is also the Sin Sze SI Ya Chinese Temple, the oldest in KL, the Sri Maha Mariamman Hindu Temple from 1873 and the James Mosque, 1908



Our excursion was to Pitrajaya, the administrative capital. All the other excursions had involved much more walking.

Putrajaya is called the Garden City, covering 11,320;acres

It was against the law to drink alcohol or smoke in the city!

We arrived at the very wide Main Street, Persiarana Perdana Road, which stretched several km. All the government buildings are situated along this road, the Palace of Justice being just that, practically a Palace! It was quite magnificent with domes and mosaics and is the highest court in the Land.

The Ministry of Finance is the only one with its name in English, all the rest have their names in the Malay language.. All are impressive buildings and architecturally interesting.

It is a purpose built city, behind all the government buildings was housing for the people who worked there so that if they wanted they could go home to lunch and not be late back! To make sure that all workers had a healthy and nourishing meal the government provided a lunch of meat, rice and vegetables for approx 80p if they didn’t want to go home.

Beyond the living accommodation were leisure and recreational facilities and schools were in walking distance.

The guide particularly stressed the closeness of the Mosque so that worshippers could do the necessary prayers, especially on Friday when it took longer, and get back to work for the rest of the afternoon instead of having an excuse not to go back as they wouldn’t have time!

At the end of the road was the beautiful Mosque which was our first proper stop ( there had been a photo stop at Palace of justice j Bus had to move away to park and so I had to get out. The group had already been in the Mosque, suitably robed, the ladies, head, arms, legs, ankles all covered, robes to rent if own attire not suitable.. Very strict enforcement .

There were a number of steps involved now, as we left the main mosque grounds and moved towards the lake where we were to have a cruise. There were escalators, and ramps, ( manageable), and then more steps where we appreciated help from our Holbeach friends, who took the wheelchair, altho everyone was very kind and helpful.

The boat must have held about 100, seated on freestanding chairs, not just our tour group, but it chugged slowly round the lake. Several people went outside once we got underway as you couldn’t see a thing unless you were next to the windows.

The tour was quite a long one, but there was no food or snack provided unusually.

Roger had noticed the boat in front of ours at the dock was set with tables and chairs and decorated with white flowers and sconces said that would be a nice alternative. To have a lunch cruise! Lynn, one of the cruise destination administrators was sitting near and I suggested that to her. She agreed and thought it worth looking into for another time……

On the return journey we had the usual stop at a souvenir outlet then back to Port Klang and the ship.

Evening entertainment, Fusion, 2 guys and a girl. Opera singers, from Sydney opera house among other illustrious venues including Phantom of the Opera in London for the soprano. They were really good. Enjoyed it tremendously. The guy was a young Michael Ball.



Friday 17th March



Penang. Temperature 34 degrees C



Penang is an island off the west coast of the Malaysia peninsula. It is called the Pearl of the Orient and is an island of temples.

It is on the equator more or less and so there are no recognisable hot/cold seasons. Average temperatures 29 - 35 degrees C. It often rains in the afternoon.

Frances Drake discovered the island of Penang.

There is a road bridge, opened in 1985, 13 and a half miles long, 8.4 miles over water. Before only access by water or air. In the North East of the island is Georgetown, the Capital city, also a World Heritage Site.

The port pier is 820m long and has a depth of 12m.

Modern Penang has skyscrapers but it also has largest numbers of intact Pre-war buildings in SE Asia.

Chinese Clan Houses, with elaborate Chinese Halls per family or Clan.

Khoo Kongsi-Most, elaborate Dragon Mountain Hall Clan

Begun in late 1800s over 8 yrs but on 1st day it burnt down - some say the Gods were unhappy

There is the Wet Market, for fresh fish and meat and vegetables and then the Pinang Pinang Peranaken mansion built by a 19 century Chinese tycoon who adopted the Malay culture, built of of marble and wood . And ironwork, which became the British colonial style

Chew Jetty has the largest last water village on stilts. There are 75+ elevated houses, lived in by the Chinese immigrants.

There is also little India.,

And the 4th largest Buddha in the world at Wat Chaiyamangalaram , reclining.

The Burmese Buddhist Temple = Dhammikarama

Fort Cornwallis was built out of wood after 1786 landing and rebuilt in 1804 by labourers, inhabited by Dutch, then British



Roger was doing his own thing here, not much accessible.

Visiting the Skytower (of course!) and then the boardwalks of the stilted village.

For a start there was a long walk off the ship along the Penang quay to catch the bus to the Skytower in Georgetown.

Up 50 steps, with a dinosaur growling at you from above, moving across to an escalator, then up 5 more steps to another escalator and 5 more steps………… until reached 6th floor. Then walked through an Archade, past 4 shooting booths with monsters, past the tallest man ( an American, 8’4”, waxwork as in Madam Tussaud’s) who was holding a plank to show measurements ( Roger thought he was off to a board meeting…..) .

They walked through an enormous love heart ( used for weddings) + 1 more escalator to. …. Finally…. A lift to floor 65.

Out of the lift into a dark room, no lights, for a film show of the construction of the tower, really interesting showing flying around it during construction. At the end of the film, suddenly screen curtains opened to give a wonderful view of the city. Went through to another lift, up to 69th floor, there to take in the full panorama view of the city. Out to one side was a horseshoe glass walkway above the city. Had to take off shoes, walk along some wooden planks up to the walkway( which was like walking on hot coals! - Roger pleased to be wearing socks)

Fantastic views of the city through the glass floor. Wedding ceremonies also held on the horseshoe.

Then into the air conditioned cafe for a very welcome complimentary glass of Carlsberg. They had a full hour at the top of the tower.

They descended a different way , getting lost in the process, finishing up in a children’s play area with climb on dinosaurs, dodgem cars and an enormous carousel. A large fun park in the middle of the Tower!

Back on the coach down to the shore to see the stilt houses, like shacks , on the sea shore, now a World Heritage Site. Some of them had been modified with stilts out of concrete as the wooden ones had rotted. This was the original area where the Chinese had first settled when Penang was half jungle, they had no money for land when they first arrived, just living in the stilt houses on the sea shore. There were lots of boardwalks between the houses, making streets, and even a Chinese Temple.

It was all very basic in the shacks they peeped into rather self consciously, and the smell not pleasant, all refuse, discharged into the sea seemingly.

End of tour, back to quay where they were dropped some way from the ship at a big white clock tower, built to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Jubilee, at the edge of Georgetown.

Today was St Patrick’s Day. The Sailaway would be celebrating this out on the back deck so we went out for a change. Lots of Irish tunes, some folks dancing, but we were not sailing anywhere. Announcement that we’re waiting for an ambulance for a medical emergency. The entertainment team did their compulsory half an hour or so and then left the passengers to their own devices!!

We eventually departed without any fuss.



Saturday 18th to Friday 24th March



Sea Days



Lots of things to do. Very warm as near the equator



Saturday. - 34degrees C. Crews muster practice. Deputy Captain made a balls up of announcements! Gave conflicting messages, about passengers needing to put on life jackets and mustering. Some did, much to their confusion and the surprise of the crew who were practising!

We’ve noticed that the Horizon newsheet we get every day has often been cut and pasted. Some interesting mistakes at times, but not what you’d expect at this level of travel.

Roger went to a talk about the beginning of the war in Indonesia and sinking of British Ships before invasion Singapore.

Beatles act in the theatre.



Sunday

450 n miles in past 24 hrs. @ 19. knots. Temperature 33 degrees C for 3rd day



This morning Roger went to church service. I met Richard and Diane for a drink at main pool area after we had joined in with them for morning trivia quiz. Roger and Richard went to the morning talk then about Raffles and The Bridge over the River Kwai. Chatting and sunning ourselves.



The eve entertainment was instrumentalist Iszabellea Zabrowskaq, making her violin weep and sing, with music of all genres, from the classics with twist jazz, pop, gypsy, contemporary



Monday

Another 450 miles in 24 hours. Trivia quiz, now seems to have become a regular.

Went off for a Peninsular lunch, sat with some people don’t recollect seeing before. Ended up just being 4 of us on a table for 6, very pleasant lunch and company. Needed rest in the pm due to wine I fear.

A bowl of soup sufficed for supper and then to the theatre where Bob McVeigh, a vocalist it’s a lovely voice. Had been a contestant in Any Dream Will Do, about 15 years ago and achieved a reasonable career after coming 6th, He sold himself to the audience, what he’d done, who he’d met over the years, but he did talk a bit too much and try to get the audience to sing, very irritating , went to be entertained, not entertain myself.



Tuesday

Talk about Frankincense and Myrrh and Oman, more later

Afternoon tea invitation for some reason, couldn’t quite work out if it was Peninsular or Round the World but accepted gratefully. In dining room. Some delicious warm sausage rolls and spring rolls. The usual tiered plates of sandwiches, scones and cakes, but all rather stodgy, sadly. Also Roger couldn’t eat sweet cakes so we didn’t really appreciate it. The scones are more like biscuits anyway, but fill a hole if you really want one. How anyone can ever be actually hungry on this ship I don’t know!!

We passed on the evening meal, altho Roger went later and got some fruit salad for us.

Captain informed us today that the first tended stop in Muscat has been cancelled and we are now going to AbuDhabi. That will be interesting. Roger a bit disappointed to be missing his Dhow Cruise but some alternate activities in Abu Dhabi to consider.

Clocks back again tonight, Will be GMT+5

Blame it on The Boogie Headliners tonight again.

Went to excursions desk to copy excursion details so could make selection. Opted for afternoon tea at 6* Emirates Palace Hotel.



Wednesday



32 degrees C



Pirate practice this morning! Going into High Security area opposite African coast and Somalia as we approach the Horn of Africa and Red Sea. Maritime or endures to take all precautions. At specified drill time all passengers to leave cabins with windows and balconies and move into corridors away from cabin doors and sit on floor etc. Those in inside cabins to go there and stay for duration of practise. Quite a boding experience with neighbours don’t often see!! Think on Promenade Deck crew practising getting Water hoses into position to employ if necessary. Lasted about 20 mins or so.



Destination talk on Abu Dhabi, more later .

Checked out craft session but had already made the semiprecious stone necklace’s previously. Found a table out in sunshine joined by Richard and Diane and chatted until lunchtime.



The Arcadia Orchestra had an afternoon concert of Glen Miller music so we went along to the theatre for that. It was very enjoyable. Went to cabin after and did some notes, then logged on to wifi and chatted to Christopher. Sent some messages and photos to make most of Wifi.



Eve Palladian was Beatles Experience. Sang a lot of early Beatles songs after Beatles Trivia quiz on screen in the theatre while waiting. They were very good, had a pleasant sound, dressed to look like them.



Thursday



Dubai port presentation



Went to Glasshouse for lunch of Tapas today as rather windy out on deck.

Craft session 3 wire twisted Pearl necklaces today. They were new and looked rather effective so made some.

Went out on back deck for a while as less wind there, before going off to classical piano concert.

Fusion, the opera singers in the theatre tonight. Another excellent performance.



Friday 24th March



Port talk Muscat, Oman



Really windy again by central pool so went out to back deck. Did a bit of knitting, then R joined me after listening to a talk about Lawrence of Arabia. Richard and Diane came through too so we chatted as per usual.

Later I went to the craft session and made some more angels , this time for the Christmas tree.

Spent some time in the cabin until supper, sending messages, etc



Izabella Zebrowska the violinist in the theatre for another wonderful performance.

Noticed in Horizon a quiz in the pub so went to take part. It was about Arabia, testing knowledge about how much listened to port talks. Came 2nd! Not bad,



Saturday 25th March.



Abu Dhabi. United Arab Emirates



24N. 54E. GMT+4. Temp. Predicted 30degrees C



Abu Dhabi is the capital and largest of the 7 United Arab Emirates.

Consists of 200 islands

Saudi Arabia and the Empty Quarter is to the west, Oman to the east and Dubai to the north.

Populated since 3rd millennium BC

Baryat Bedouin tribe settled in the 15th century.

There was a pearl trade in the 19th century but piracy was a problem.

In 1936 oil exploration Egan

In 1953 the first rig offshore was exploring 9000 feet

It is wealthiest state having 90% of the oil and 5% of gas in the gulf

The Corniche(sea front) stretches 4 and a half miles.

There is a backdrop of towers and gardens.

The beaches are public beaches on the Corniche

Hotels have private beaches but allow nonresidents in for a payment.

The Abu Dhabi Mall has 200+ shops and a hotel.

Currency is Emirati Dirhams - approx 4.5 to £1

Central Market from early 1960s is a focal point

2004 new indoor souk Marina Mall with an Aquarium and Sky Tower.

There is a Heritage Village showing local Bedouin life.

In 2005 Emirates Palace Hotel built.



The Sheik Zayed Grand Mosque is largest in the world

It has 82 domes and 1000 marble columns

It has 4 107m minarets

It has the worlds largest chandelier 50ft by 30ft

1200 artisans spent 2 years making the carpet ,half of them hand knotting. It is 5700sq.m. With 2 billion 268 million knots

The late Sheik Zayed was the man who shaped the nation.



Al Ain is a Garden City near the border of Oman at an oasis. There is the faraj irrigation system originated from 1000BC with water channels all around the area. It is still the main source of irrigation today.

There are date palm farms, and the largest camel market in the country.



We had to immigrate first thing. Our excursion wasn’t booked until 1.30 so we had time to fill and decided to look for a little tour as we were going for afternoon tea with our excursion so wouldn’t see a great deal. Very smart terminal building with lots of stalls/ shops to peruse, cashmere(!?) scarves, camels, souvenirs in general, shiny ‘gold’ necklaces, earrings rings etc, which of course we had to look around.

The lounge area was also nice and spacious and comfortable so went onto wifi to do some messages and emails etc. What’s App seemed to work but not voice.

There were people at the entrance selling taxi ‘tours’ and so it seemed a good idea to take one of these. We said how long we wanted to be and agreed a price and off we went.

Along the Corniche, the sea front, by the sea towards the town, there were skyscrapers but didn’t seem all that many. Most things were close by. The driver took us to the end of the beach road, stopping along the way for a photo op. We followed the road around to where the Emirates Palace Hotel was, our destination for later. This was near the Sheik’s new Palace whose white marble facade glistened in the sun. The driver explained that no one knew how much the palace had cost, unusually, ( it’s normal to lt everyone know what things cost!)

Back to ship, took some shopping back onboard, back to shore for 1.30 trip…….ooops, 2.30 trip! No wonder wouldn’t let us on coach!

Back into terminal, looked at shops had missed earlier, back out to buses at correct time and off we go to 6* Emirates Palace Hotel

It has 400 rooms beginning approx $3000 a night up to $20000 for presidential,suite. It has 1000 crystal chandeliers . Everything about it was superlative, with gold edging if it wasn’t covered in gold. We were guided though the foyer to the circular atrium about 40 m in diameter which is where reception seemed to be a small desks scattered around the edge. Then onwards through a smaller hall to the dining room and the terrace where some were seated in and some out. There were small pots of jam, lemon curd and date paste on the table ( later discovered some had cream instead of date, bugger!)

Drinks orders were taken and delivered, food brought on tiered cake plates, looked amazing. Tasted amazing too,savoury, lobster roll, cream cheese tiered cube sandwich, wraps of tuna salad, small potion quiche, 6 pieces each all beautifying decorated.

Next layer contained sweet things, strawberry moulded cake sponge, choc profiteroles filled with choc Creme pat( my favourite, too sweet for Roger so I had to manage 2…..) green cake, macaroons that had hand painted flower design on top, and 2 scones each. ( They need a Mary Berry masterclass for scones, disappointing!)

Roger had to be careful with the sweets, so couldn’t enjoy them to the full, but I let him know how they were( and indeed a bit too sweet for me too altho I gave it a good go!)

Took photos through the windows down to the private gardens and beach where there were covered gazebos for guests.

All was excellent but marred by being told had to pay for another coffee for Roger. Maitre d’ waived it as I queried the charge saying as I hadn’t had any didn’t matter, but principal was should have had more than one drink included.

Toilets were equally magnificent, gold coloured, plated, surrounded, with copper, wish I’d had my camera with me in the cubicle!

Group collected together and got back on bus for return to ship via scenic route for photos ops. Did more or less our route from this morning, back n ship at correct time altho 2 buses were not. Had gone to Al Ain about 2 hours away, which meant we had lost our slot for departure as had to wait.

They eventually arrived, quite tired, had said was interesting but tiring day looking at the forts and old town including the faraj irrigation channels.

Headliners showtime. Applause, as good as first time round. Still enjoyed it.



Sunday 26th March



Dubai. 25N, 55E. GMT+4. 34 degrees



One of the UAE States, called city of gold. The new island of Palm Jameirah increased coastline by 75 miles.

It is the Emirates capital, a city where east meets west, old meets new. There are 2 cities in one, Deera and Dubai. The currency is the Emiraki Dirham.

Only 15% of the population are Emerati. 85% are ex pats.

Shopping is phenomenal, the Hall of the Emirates has 630 brands in 2000 sq m., the Dubai Mall is the largest in the world with 1500 retail outlets, a waterfall, ice rink, aquarium as well.

Dubai has the largest gold market in the world, there is a perfume souk and a spice souk.

Al Bastakia is the old town from the early 1900s where the wealthy Persians and merchants from Iran would come.

Al Jumeirah is the biggest and most beautiful and elegant addition to Dubai with its palm like arms, and the Hotel Atlantis at its furthest point, the end of the monorail from the main land. The sheik Kaboosh had a vision to extend Dubai, and thought of a large circle representing the island. However realised wasn’t so much coastline but one of his advisers suggested the palm fronds so that many more buyers had beachfront.

Also along the front, but 280m offshore is the lavish and luxurious Burg Al Arab Hotel. It was constructed on 230 40m piles built into the sand. It has 2 wings like sails with a 180m tall atrium, the tallest interior space in the world. It has 202 suites costing from $3000 to $20000.

The Burg Khalifa, the tallest building in the world, is 828 m tall with an observation deck at 452 m on 124th floor and restaurant at 444m on level 122. There are 164 storeys. Opened in 2010.

The elevator is the world’s fastest at 10m/sec and it takes 1.5 mins to get up to highest level

It has the 4th highest observation deck in the world.

The Dancing Fountains can be seen each evening outside the Dubai Mall. 22 thousand gallons of water are involved in the display, planned by the architect of the Bellagio in Las Vegas.

Dubai marina is another place to go to relax and the Miracle Gardens in 52 thousand. Sq. m with 50 million flowers.

Dubai only has 5% of oil left, likely to be over by 2027

The ruling Sheik was keen on developing the tourism.

Plan in next few years to build a doughnut like ring on the top of 5 pillars/ towers around the Burg Khalifa at an elevation of 550m with 3 storeys of accommodation!!!



We had a relaxing morning, the first stunning view of the skyline from deck 9 on the port side, as our cabin was on starboard. There was a bit of a heat haze, but this didn’t detract from the sight of all the skyscrapers.

Went early to terminal building so could send few messages etc and then boarded bus. Tour guide very pleasant chap from Sri Lanka (didn’t catch his name…) who went over itinerary. We had just read afternoon tea and see the dancing fountains, having the impression we would see them from up the tower, but it was to be so much more.

First afternoon tea, then to Dubai Mall, where we would have free time and basically have to wait til it got dark before there was the fountain show just outside the Mall. Then on way back to ship drive by the Hotel el Arab for photo op.

Took about half an hour to drive to the Burg Khalifa, which was amongst office blocks and apartments in the downtown area. There was another block we could see that had a cantilever platform at the top like the Marina Sands Hotel too.

We were going into the Armani Hotel, belonging to Georges Armani, the designer. He bought 900 of the apartments in the tower. The apartments were sold at $38500 per sq.m.

The foyer was cool with subdued lighting and quiet elegance. With the wheelchair and another lady with mobility problems we were taken in a separate lift to the rest of the group and whisked up the tower. We came out on floor 123 and went around a passage to another lift, back down to floor 122, through the back of the kitchen passages and into the dining room. The view through the floor to ceiling windows was staggering, out across Dubai. There was a bar area, and seating area as in a lounge, with some dropped seating down a couple of steps and some not. Tables were set for 2s and 4s, with sofas and lounge chairs. We were escorted to tables by charming waiters in smart casual uniforms, beige trousers, white shirts with sand coloured waistcoats.

Water was poured and we were asked what we’d like for the main course., beef, chicken risotto or fish? This threw us a bit, didn’t know what to say really, queried expecting afternoon tea! Waiter repeated question so we just chose! Then offered champagne, which we graciously accepted, felt a bit like royalty, waiters so attentive.

We sat with Edith, the other lady we had come up in the lift with and Andrea, who was the tour escort, the Spanish/French teacher from the cruise. Tour escorts got pot luck as to which tour they were allocated, but Andrea decided she was very happy with todays trip! Edith was a retired lady who had worked all over the world, as a supervisor of different companies at the highest level and spent several years in the Gulf. A very interesting lady.

The first plates were brought out, a platter with 6 sections including a foie gras tart, cheese spread mini sandwich cube wrapped in the finest cucumber strip, cheese puff with beetroot filling, wafer thin leaf with tuna and roes, smoked salmon sandwich and egg mayo.

After we had devoured these delicious morsels our main course arrived. I thought the waiter had said ragu beef but apparently not, it was wagu beef which I have head of but didn’t really know what it was. Edith informed me that the cattle are stroked and petted. The beef literally melted in the mouth, it was so tender, accompanied by a desert spoon of potato purée and a slither of a baby carrot.

The wine continued to be topped up, the cake stand arrived, a vertical hexagonal affair with 3 tiers containing macarons, fruit jellies, meringues, truffle bombs on long sticks, deconstructed eclair with cream pat, mini chocolate cones filed with fruit purée, 2 scones, 1 chocolate, 1 plain, clotted cream, mini jam pots, layered cake cube.

The choc scone shattered as I cut into it, very dry, but everything else was very good. Thank goodness had some spare tissues in my bag so was able to take away ( very carefully) what couldn’t consume.

Some of the other ladies asked the waiters about the wine . I had noticed it seemed a rather better quality than the usual Prosecco, was not feeling any particular effects despite 3 or 4 glasses, and they said it was the real deal, at £200 a bottle. How true I don’t know but it was certainly very delicious wine.

I was assisted to the loo by an attentive waiter, ( just because I needed to go, waiter was just being helpful!) where I had to pause to make the most of the unhindered view of Dubai from the windows.

When all had finished and we’d finished taking photos of bar etc we headed back down the way we had come.

Now to the Dubai Mall. The bus dropped us outside and we had to go in via the ground level car park. It was so clean you could have eaten off the floor! We hadn’t realised we would have a couple of hours to kill before it was time for the fountains when it got dark. It was quite a walk, about 700m, through the mall to where our guide arranged a meeting place, and then we were sent off. We went for a walk round, found and admired the indoor waterfall, and worked our way back to the meeting place. Now we’d got our bearings we found our way outside and even tho it was only just after 6 pm the lake area was surrounded by people! We thought we might as well stay out and see if we could work our way to the front, which we did over the next hour as people moved. Roger was chatting to a lady next to him from the ship. I was sitting in the wheelchair, wrote a few post cards, dazed a bit. At one point a gun went off but nothing seemed to happen for a while. I later found that it was a sign for the end of Ramadan. Where we waited until about 7.25 when things started happening when it was practically dark.

Moody music started, the lake started to show the fountains and the crowds were spellbound. I have never seen such high fountains and they did look as if they were dancing. I recorded it on my phone but annoyingly I started portrait and then turned it to landscape without turning it off so now have to watch with a cricked neck! I did stop at one point and start again, when the laser show started on the Burg Khalifa which was behind the fountains, so that video is pretty good. The show went on for about 10 minutes or so.

It repeats every half an hour each evening.

We went back into the Mall to meet our guide, where we waited quite some time before everyone had gathered, not sure what the hold up was?? So then we had the trek back through the Mall to find the bus……… which had to move because we were so late so we were messing around at the bus park, not very easy with a wheelchair and 10 to 15 buses moving around!

The next stop was the Burg Al Arab, at least near it for a photo op. The sails are lit up and change colour every little while.

Back to the ship at last. Went to bed!



Monday 27th March



Day 2 Dubai.



Or rather half a day as the ship was departing approx 2pm for Oman.

Monorail to the Palmeirah and a visit to the Marina.

I read the ticket time wrong again, this time a bit late but Roger was not wanting to be late and so kept checking, thank goodness and we just made it in time.

Chumminga, our guide was from Sri Lanka, and full of information.

He pointed out the Dubai Eye, at 250m in diameter and a cost of $250 million somewhat larger than the London Eye. There were 48 cabins that held 20 to 40 people and could be rented for parties, etc. A revolution took 48 minutes. But in 2017 it ground to a halt one day, literally! Sand had got in the mechanism! They managed to get those stuck out, of course, ( that would have been an interesting activity! ) but not sure if it’s going now.

The Sheiks family company is EMARR.

In 1974 Dubai was a desert. Sheik Rashid developed the Area. He gave all the locals a house. He was a very forward thinking man who developed his country fro the benefit of his people.

Tour as follows - photo stop for Burg Khalifa, then for Burg Al Arab, then along to Monorail stop. I declined to get off for photo stops, we had had a good innings the day before. Bus steps also becoming a bit of a nightmare to keep clambering on and off. Bit of a trek to get to train stop, up and down curbs, before at least some lifts at the station.

Onto train, rather busy, lots of Japanese tourists blocking windows! Couldn’t really see much of the ‘palm’ just the buildings and the occasional glimpse of sea. The guide said it was unusually busy and normally could get an idea of the layout.

The last house on the second palm was $167 million.

There is a water park on the Palm that has55 slides. The biggest is 87m.

There is a new hotel on the Jumeirah called the New Atlantis, the Presidential Suite costing a mere $100 thousand a night, which is where Byonce stayed for the opening.

Nederland means land below the water, advisers from there before Jumeirah constructed.

The outer Wallis 40 m thick, 50 m deep and 11 km long. 120 cu m. Of rocks were brought in from the countryside and sand from the sea bed was dug to fill in the gaps.

There are 27 5* hotels on the Palm with 15 thousand rooms, 41. 5* hotels along the front in Dubai.

The coach picked us up from the last monorail stop and we drove out to the Marina with its residential towers, and ritzy resort for the rest of the time we had left. We decided just to have a drink and relax by the promenade.

Back to ship via terminal building and using wifi to send a few more messages. We

Went out to enjoy sailaway from back deck in the afternoon sun.



The theatre presentation was Rock On, 4 ( + 3 musicians) young men who sang celebrations of Rock music, all seeming to have been in the West End show. They were very good, could certainly project the rock music, was great fun.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb