Gozo


Advertisement
Malta's flag
Europe » Malta » Gozo
October 11th 2017
Published: October 12th 2017
Edit Blog Post

An early start to Gozo (Għawdex) entailed a bus to Cirkewwa to catch a ferry. The hour on the bus took us through St Pauls which is built up with resort type apartments. The ferry crossing took 35mins & i was out sitting on the deck before we had even left the port....so was some other lonely person looking for real air..
The ferry sails past Comino island, very sparse, rocky and apparently especially good for diving. One of the top diving places in the Mediterranean. The water is beatifully crystal clear because of the rock.
The entrance to Gozo port is very pretty and colourful with boats. The town perched above the small port.
I remember reading that Gozo horticulture basically produce the vegetables for Malta.
We aimed for Victoria on the bus 10 mins away so we could go to the Citadel (done up in 2015). We wandered Victoria square & it's old town streets first. Many little market shops selling the traditional crafts of the Maltese....filagree, lace, glass.
The Citadel was beautifully restored and the 360 degree view across the island was magnificant. So much rock, what a lot of hard work to move enough of it for cultivation...and of course absolutely everything is made of it. The limestone is such a nice soft colour and along with the amount and size of their structures gives it an atmosphere of calm.

Neolithic period the Ġgantija temples were built and indications from archaelogical findings are Gozo was populated 5000BC.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.336s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1816s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb