Day 66: Faulensee to Liechtenstein.


Advertisement
Liechtenstein's flag
Europe » Liechtenstein » Vaduz
May 7th 2011
Published: May 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Leaving early we headed off to the alps again this time via the Grimselpass and Furkapass if they are open, the destination is Liechtenstein all going well. What a stunning drive we had, firstly through the lower hills and finally winding up through Grimselpass for a brief stop and to admire the awesome view. Onwards and ever upwards we headed up the Furkapass which was open today for the first time this year. This and many of the passes in the alps are closed during the winter as they are very dangerous, the snow in places where we drove was over 4 meters high at the edges of the road where they had cut a way through, very cool. There are hotels dotted right through the area which are sponsored by the Swiss Military in exchange for accommodation for the troops if required, all very Swiss and strange. Crossing the 2400 meter mark was quite exciting and the roads were spectacular, the pics really do not do it justice. Winding down the other side we came across a partly frozen lake where we stopped for lunch, the motorbikes were out in force and riding the winding roads like a race track at times, we saw one accident where the helicopter came and the bike was a bit of a mess, too fast for the corner we think. Arriving in Vaduz, Liechtenstein we found the camp ground. It was very expensive but ok for the stop. To cover off Switzerland, we loved it very much and will return someday to see even more of it, the Swiss are a strange people, they do not seem to smile a lot yet they have so much in their back yard.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb