On my way to Vilnius


Advertisement
Latvia's flag
Europe » Latvia » Riga Region » Riga
July 15th 2012
Published: July 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Saturday I left 6.45 to Warszawa centralna station. A huge monster of a building with constant renovations since the station had been finished in 1975.

With a delay of 50 minutes just loading the train to Sestokai with too many people and too much luggage incl plastic washing basins and all other things you can imagine for over an hour we left.The normal train cabin in Europe and elswhere has for this long distance trains 6 seats however in Poland 8. In my cabin the other 7 spoke very good polish.

At the stations you see that people in Poland are still used to bring their friends or family to the train and pick them up as well. Is this only to carry the huge luggages?At Suwalki most of the passengers left the train and after that the conductor told the few left over in the train that in Sestokai there was no connecting train due to timedifference, broken train and all the other reasons she could make up.A coach will be there to pick us up and bring us to Kaunas where the train to Vilnius, Luthania will depart.

There was a bus waiting at the station.Must have been brand new some 35 years ago and had lost all his charmes and all the things that could be unscrewed or fall down.there were no seatbelts only one for the driver who was so huge that he could not use it but had been steadied by the wheel.In Kaunas we had to wait half an hour. Time difference with Poland is 1 hour.Roads in Lithuania are great and all the trains I saw look new.

Reached Vilnius the capital of Lithuania after 12 hours travelling. Hotel Rino is o.k and the old town, another Unesco world heritage site, nearby

Advertisement



15th July 2012

easy way
Vorig jaar hebben we dit per fiets gedaan !Leuk om te lezen. Godfried
18th July 2012

easy way
Inderdaad Godfried. Moet er niet aan denken dit te fietsen.
15th July 2012

Collect all your comments
Hi Bert, Long time no see. I'm in the south of Spain at the moment, Dana is here for a summercourse Spanish, just as last year. Isn't ot an idea to collect all your comments, about travelling over the years, bring them together and you we provide a nice book!! Best regards, Cees

Tot: 0.447s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.2208s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb