Villa Torlonia


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
March 31st 2011
Published: September 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 41.8966, 12.477

Today we got up between 7-7:30 and then caught the #84 to via Nomentana and Villa Torlonia (Mussolini's home) there was only a small bit of information about B. Mussolini there as it was mostly a history of the house and the Torlonia family that owned it. the villa was beautiful but there were other buildings on the grounds that we weren't allowed into. One that we were allowed to tour was called "The Owl House" or Casa Civette, this reminded me of Dumas' Monte Cristo and Chateau d'If. Very fanciful, lots of stained glass, miniature turrets, and balconies, etc.. the grounds/park seem to be used by the public for jogging and walking, picnics and general enjoyment. I was hoping we could visit at least one of the bunkers B. Mussolini had built for himself and family but they were closed, not sure if they are closed permanently or if it was temporary... Am assuming the lack of information there about him is because they are understandably not proud of that moment in their history so are not emphasizing it.

Afterward, we hopped on a bus to the nearest Metro stop, (Line A- Ottaviano) I think that was the metro stop we got on and then got off at the Spanish Steps, walked up and saw the French church at the top. Left mom and dad here and we walked along the Tiber to the Bridge of Angels and into Castle St. Angelo, totally enjoy the views from the top! This was one of the boys favorite sites, what's not to like about visiting a mausoleum turned fortress with accompanying war machines? From here we walked up to St. Peter's, went through security and made it to the spot to go up to the top of the Dome and they cut the line off right in front of us!! Aaaccckkkk! we never did make it to the top, that is to be saved for another visit I guess ;-)

I don't have anything else written in my journal for this day so now I don't remember what we did after this, eventually, we made our way back to the apartment to then make it to....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0185s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb