Colosseo


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
March 29th 2011
Published: September 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 41.8966, 12.477

Hello, thanks for the replies everyone! I'll start with today, we slept in today and had a very slow start as we all were needing to catch up on some sleep. Got up at 8 but could have kept sleeping... we hopped on a bus and had a bit of a tour of Roma as it did eventually go where we were wanting it to, just in a round about way! this was our second journey this way but it was shorter this time ;-)

Got off at Piazza Venezia and slowly made our way to the Mamertino- this is the prison where Paul and perhaps Peter were kept when imprisoned in Rome. The last time we were here it was a donation only situation and it was very simple, you got to go into the very place they were kept, there was an altar there but the rest was probably pretty much the same. This time, there was a mandatory fee of 9 euros (with the Roma Pass discount) and it's an audio tour with accompanying video... bad doctrine taught and short on facts, the previous experience was nice, simple, and allowed you time to contemplate what they had experienced and how much suffering was done by our early church fathers. Previously it was a moving time, this time not for me... unfortunate, as I was looking forward to being there again.

Ate in the shade overlooking Ceasar's Forum on our way to the Coliseum, walked past another long line with our Roma Pass in hand, very handy! bought a VERY informative audio guide (5,50 euros), probably one of the best I've ever listened to as far as interesting content goes. We then took the underground tour (8 euros) this was a great tour, really for those reading this looking for info for their trip, I'd do the tour first then if you are still wanting info get the audio guide as the tour tells you a lot. We had access to the very top of the coliseum, fantastic view! amazing!! our guide was an actual archeologist so was very knowledgeable, again money well spent. After this, we took the 517 bus and got off on Corso Vittorio Emmanuele ll, went to a pizza place we've been to the last two trips just off of Campo dei Fiori, nice pizza and these interesting and very tasty fried rice balls. (26 euros for 4 people for dinner) I'm including prices so those planning get an idea of what things cost...

Stopped at the grocery store for supplies on the way back to the apt. Zach not feeling well, sore throat, tired, headache. We loaded him up with some airborne and we went out to reload our wallets at the ATM and Joseph got a gelato, I decided to skip a day as I'm putting the calories on as fast as I'm walking them off and I'd like to see a deficit if possible!

So we are back and going to bed, off to the Forum, Palatine Hill, and perhaps the Capitoline Museum tomorrow!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.457s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb