In the shadow of Etna


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
September 12th 2015
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 38.1922, 15.5566

Connie's next port of call is Messina in Sicily. Having never been here before we are keen to explore what the largest island in the Mediterranean has to offer. Of course being here on a day trip means we can only get a taste of the island. We opted to visit the town of Taormina which lies about 40 miles south of Messina in the shadow of Mount Etna.

We board a coach with some fellow guests and make our way out of Messina and head south on the motorway. People seem to drive a little crazy in Southern Europe as we overtake several vehicles with people texting as they drive. Fools. After about 40 minutes the coach starts climbing up steep narrow roads and through lengthy tunnels. We emerge near. Multi story car park where out guide directs us to the lifts that takes us up to Taormina itself. It's 9.45am and she advises that we need to be back at 12.45 so we have 3 hours to look around.

We must be one of the first tour groups to arrive as we seem to have the town to ourselves and it is such a pretty town. It knocks spots off Capri. There are plenty of quaint little shops and narrow side streets that beckon us to explore but we stick to the main corsa. There are numerous photo opportunities, pretty churches, small piazzas and stunning views out to sea and also glimpses of Mount Etna smouldering in the distance.

We pay a small entrance fee to visit the Greek Amphitheatre which is near the town. It's now getting very hot but there is plenty of shade from the mountain pines that surround the site. We sit for a short while in the amphitheatre before heading back into Taormini. We enjoy a coffee in one of the many cafes before heading down one of the small side streets to the picturesque gardens that overlook the coast. After climbing back up to the town we stop at an Bar for a cold beer and then at another cafe for Gelato which is excellent. The town is now heaving with tourists so we are glad it is time for us to depart as we have 10 minutes to get back to the coach. We arrive back in Messina around 13.45 and find Connie's bigger sister Reflection is docked next to us. We enjoy lunch on the pool deck and then relax in the Solarium for a while.

It is formal night tonight. Luckily for me the Tuxedo rental was waiting in my room on our return. Everything fits perfectly and so we dress and decide to head to the Seaview Cafe for sunset. We walk through the Oceanview and get a little worried as everyone is dressed casually. Did we get the date wrong. I ask one of the waiters and he confirms it is indeed formal night. Phew.

The sunset as we make our way from Sicily is stunning. We are alongside another celebrity ship, Equinox, as we head south. We take a few photos before heading to the Martini Bar. We order a Sapphire London Club for Peter and a Sapphire French for me. We then both have a Eurekatini. Dinner in San Marco is better tonight although Peter's Caesar is a little disappointing. My duck breasted main is excellent and the apple crumble even more so.

We head to the Celebrity Theatre next and enjoy a very good live show based on music from the movies. Production is excellent and some of the vocalists are very good, although singing My Heart Will Go On from Titanic is a little strange as we are on a ship. No icebergs in the Med though.

We are tired by now so rather than get another drink we make our way back to our room where we wind our clocks on one hour as we are now in Greece. Tomorrow is a day at sea.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.304s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0733s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb