A day of big grins :o)


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
June 12th 2016
Published: June 12th 2016
Edit Blog Post

First things first, Weather forecasts, come on, not even close. The forecast was for rain and storms around Stelvio by 2pm so we got off in good time to arrive before the bad weather hit. We could have had a very long lay in because we have been here for 2 hours and I am wishing we had packed sun screen. Just to say, normally factor 60 is my go to but my crash helmet and touring suit are gravel and tarmac proof (I hope) so UV has no chance. Ok I am not complaining per-say about the good (great) weather, better to expect rain and get sun than the other way around.

Before I go on about todays trip, the hotel Kulm in Liechtenstien is one of the best hotels I have stayed in. The location is spectacular, the view from the dining room was stunning and the food...... It wasn't a big menu but it was a quality menu. Also, and this has been unique to this tour, the menu was in your native tongue. its the little things.

On to the day. Wow. After the big miles we had completed so far on this trip, today was planned as a short stint, just 102 miles but climbing to over 2400m. At 50 years old, today, in June, I made my first Snow Angel. You are only young once, but can be immature forever. This is a motorcycle holiday and as such, there has to be quick bits, sweeping bends and technical bits. Today had it all. Nothing in the extreme, but just enough to keep a married couple grinning like kids and out of couples therapy. It also marked a milestone in trust and confidence. Julia flattened the batteries in 2 cameras taking photos from her pillion perch. Thanks to her total trust in me, and well developed core muscles, she has captured some photographs that will be the envy of our biker friends for years. It also means I can enjoy some of the views that I missed whilst concentrating on the braking distance and perfect line around some very sharp hairpin bends.

Tonights hotel is the Hotel Stilfserhof. A biker friendly hotel (count 7 in the car park so far) so it had better be. After a much needed walk to stretch the legs we got back to the hotel and met up with another 2 couples who had just completed the Stelvio today. Tomorrows adventure beckons, more twisting and technical roads. More spectacular vistas and memories that we will cherish for ever (with the help of Julia's new found photo-journalistic prowess).



Tomorrow, the Stelvio and Gavio passes. Bring it on.



Have a good 'un


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.345s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb