Sorrento to Kalambaka Greece


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
June 18th 2012
Published: June 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 8

Finally, Luggage!!!! it took many calls to the airports (Milan, Rome, Naples) but we took a detour today and finally got my suitcase. Oh the joy. Now I have all chargers and adaptors and I will upload a bunch of photos ASAP. (most likely tomorrow)

Anyway, today we left Rome and headed south. We took a detour to the Naples Airport and retreived my suitcase. We then continued on to the great city of Pompeii. We had a very engaging tour guide, Marco, that taught as all about the ruins and the life of people in Pompeii at the time it was buried. I really enjoyed seeing this sight again and I think all the students had a nice time.

We then drove to the coast city of Sorrento and enjoyed some free time exploring the shops and narrow streets. I think everyone found something of interest. Jewlery is the common thing for this group of mosly girls to buy. For others like me, the gelato had to do, which is fine by me.

It was only a 10 minute drive to our hotel from there where we enjoyed a nice dinner in our hotel which overlooks the ocean. after dinner it was beach time. Everyone headed down the steep steps down to the rocky beach. A sunset swim was enjoyed by just about everyone. I opted for the quiet hotel rooftop with Heather and Diane for an amazing view of the sunset. Great balance of amazing history and fun today

Day 9

Not much to tell today. It began with a 4:15 AM departure on the bus. The night ferries had changed their launching port, so we had to dive all the way back north and to the East side of Italy to catch the ferry in Ancona. The drive was very scenic as we drove over the mountains, but most missed it because we were zonked out on the bus. The bus tends to rock everyone to sleep anyway, and when you combine that with an early AM departure, not many were awake for very long. We arrived at Ancona and boarded our night ferry. Had dinner on the boat and enjoyed yet another beautiful sunset.

Day 10

Arrived in Greece. We disembarked from our boat at about 10:00 and our new bus with a new driver was waiting. we loaded up and headed inland to the city of Kalambaka. After a lunch stop, we headed up the hills to the famous monestaries. We met our local guide, who talked way to much, and hiked the stairs to get an inside look of a monestary. These buildings, mostly built 700 years ago, are perched high up on these rock pillars of cliffs. Most of them have been updated throughout the years but are still an amazing work of art. After our guided tour we drove around and viewed several others long enough to get photos. We then dropped down of the mountain via a very steep windy road and ended at our hotel. For one of the few times on the trip we had two things the kids were craving, down time and free wifi, so most of them have been very happy with our relaxed after noon and evening. We have explored the main street of Kalambaka several times and have found all the great treat stores so our day is complete.

Later

Lambert

Advertisement



Tot: 0.752s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0827s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb