Florence and Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
June 15th 2012
Published: June 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Days 5

WOW, what a trip. Still no luggage for me. The have it in the country but it is a pain getting it from the airports and they are not very helpful. I hope to get it before we leave to Greece.

Anyway, I will get you up to date. The second day in florence was amazing. Several in our group went straight to Florence (we were staying about 35 minutes outside of the city) while the rest of us went to pisa. The morning group that went straight to the city mostly consisted of the art history students that wanted to maximize their museum time. They did great, making it to several of the smaller museums as well as climbed the dome in the cathedral and met back up with the group to go into the Uffizi gallery.

The morning group got a suprise trip to Pisa (which we paid a small amount for) and then made our way back to Florence. Pisa was very nice and it is always good to see one of the big italian landmarks. Upon arrival back in Florence we climbed the dome, and split up for various activities before rejoining for a walk through the Uffizi. We had a very nice group dinner in a nice little resturant right off the main square. Everyone had a wonderful experience in the city of art.

Day 6

The next day we arose early and started our tour of tuscany and Umbria. We were able to stop in the nice little hill town of San Gimignano (again for a small fee) and it was great. It is a perfectly preserved Tuscan hill town and we had a great time walking around on market day in the main square and exploring the little ally ways and side streets. We then made our way to Assisi for a tour of the Cathedral of St. Francis of Assisi, and eventually made our way to Rome. We arrived in Rome for dinner and then enjoyed a nice walking tour of some of the main sights.

Day 7

The FULL day in Rome. Rome is a great city and we really needed a week to see everything, but as is we only had a day. We started off with a great tour of the Vatican Museums as well as the Sistine chapel. We then made our way into St. Peters Cathedral. That really is an impressive strucure. After a lunch stop we were able to have a guided walk of the Coliseum and the ancient Roman Forum. 4 of us slipped out of the tour early to catch a taxi to the Borghesee Gallery to see some amazing sculptures. We all met back up for a visit to the spanish steps and then back to the bus for our trip back to the hotel.

Tomorrow Pompeii.



They tell me my suitcase may make it to me tonight or at least tomorrow in Sorento. So I am off to do my wash again for the 6th night in a row.

My photo adaptor for my ipad is in my suitcase so if I get it I will add a bunch of photos.

Till next time....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb