Friday 19th August – All in a day


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
August 19th 2011
Published: September 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Photo 2Photo 2Photo 2

Our Florentine tour guide!
Up early, packed up then set out to the city for a walking tour with a local tour guide (because our tour leader can be fined if he takes a tour here). He was hilarious... as you will see from the pictures he was very geeky. All tour guides have something to hold up for the group to follow... normally an umbrella or a paddle with a number on it... not this man... he had a monkey on a stick and kept saying 'Just follow the monkey!'
The end of our tour took us to a leather factory were we say how we can tell the difference between fake and real leather... and it is not the smell! We also say how a leather box would be made and it takes a long time just to make a box. Part of the factory (not too sure why though) was a jewellery section who sold charms the fit onto Pandora bracelets. I really liked a lot of them but I had to choose 1. I bought a little Windmill charm to remind me of the Netherlands and my heritage but I also wanted the Tour Effiel and London Bridge... maybe next time.
Photo 3Photo 3Photo 3

Me by one of the famous water fountains.
Steve and I did some shopping before scoffing down some lunch and being back on the bus by 1pm.
Next destination is Rome! This trip was only a short trip and Alex dropped us off near the centre to go on a walking tour of Rome. We had to catch public transport to get there and while we were waiting for the Underground to arrive a (we are pretty sure) drunk man and his friend walked past and he was walking to close to the edge of the track and next second we heard a massive crack/smack... he had fallen off the platform and onto the tracks... turns out the massive crack/smack was his head hitting the track. Lots of the guys went to help but the guy refused to get off the track before he had collected his scody hat... he had a gash in the back of his head and we are pretty sure he was concused, it was pretty freaky!
We did a 4 hour walking tour around the city where our tour leader made Steve the 'arse' of the group... he had to make sure no-one went behind him!
We had a nice suprise when we
Photo 4Photo 4Photo 4

Part of the Ancient Rome ruins.
arrived... we didn't have to set our tents up because they have permanent tents set up there (which was great for re-packing in)
For dinner we went on a double-date with Tim and Carla (or as we put it... Steve & Tim, and Carla & I).
We were rather exahusted by the end of that night so everyone slept very well!
Another long and busy day of seeing the world... good fun!
Xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Photo 5Photo 5
Photo 5

Black and White photo of part of the Colosseum
Photo 6Photo 6
Photo 6

The Colosseum.


Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb