Italy: NATO Infrastructure Committees Visit


Advertisement
Europe » Italy
June 8th 1988
Published: October 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our next NATO Infrastructure Committees visit was to Italy. I had been looking forward to this trip ever since arriving at NATO, as Italy is perhaps my favorite country in Europe from the perspective of all its history and art, and of course the food. For the first time Linda was unable to accompany me as my parents couldn't come to babysit Tamara (2 years 4 months) and Rosanna (8 months), as... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Siracusa, SicilySiracusa, Sicily
Siracusa, Sicily

An ancient Greek colony



5th August 2018

Enjoyed your business and travel log and photos of your visit to Italy. Our family and I lived in Pinetamare, a one half hour drive north north west of Naples, Italy from 1/77 to 1/80. My duty station was at Bagnoli at Allied Forces South. I worked as shift supervisor in the NATO communications center (RXFEAA/RXFEAD) in the tunnel near Bldg. L. As you know, NATO/OTAN is a whole 'nother world. Great food and places to see in and around Naples. Pizza, mozzarella made with water buffalo milk, blood oranges, croquettes, and gelato come to mind. See re buffalo milk: https://www.cheese.com/mozzarella-di-bufala/ . We came to Naples with two children and left with five. Stepson Sy came to live with us in Washington, DC area and our daughter Amy was born in Virginia. Stepson Thanit and Sapun came from Thailand in 1978, and our son Jeremy was born there in 1977. All the babies born to American-Thai couples were males. This was attributed to the sulfur bearing stone surrounding Mount Vesuvius. One known attribute is that this material kept the cockroaches away. Northeast of Naples is an alternate war headquarters inside a mountain. This was similar in concept to Cheyenne Mountain but less sophisticated, about a one hour bus ride. Proto was manned during war games such as CIMEX/WINTEX. See: https://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/proto-former-nato-allied-forces-europe-southern-europe-afsouth-underground-hq/view/google/ . I'm probably the only person to works comms at both CINCSOUTHs. First, for the CINC (Admirals Turner and Shear) in Naples, and for the CINC in Panama (Generals Nutting and Gorman). I saw misrouted messages at each. One I remember is a man overboard from a US Navy ship transiting the Panama Canal that was sent to Naples, Italy; and an incident in Naples that was sent to Panama.
6th August 2018

Italy: NATO Infrastructure Committees Visit
I enjoy reading your reminiscences. If you read my blogs you will eventually red about my visit to AFSOUTH in Oct 1994, followed by Pompeii, Positano, and Capri. I will be walking the Via Francigena pilgrim trail from Tuscany to Rome with my son the second half of Sep this year and revisiting this area. Having our Thailand and DoD experience in common, I think you will find most of my blogs to be of interest. Please continue to comment.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0773s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb