Bon jorno from Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
June 10th 2009
Published: June 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello all!

We finally have an extra second to sit down and write alittle update. We have been in Rome for three days now and the throbing in our feet is proof.

We arrived on Sunday around 9 a.m. and after taking a train from the airport to Rome Termini (the main train station) we arrived at our hotel. After a power nap we were off. Our first stop was the Vatican. We took the metro there and explored all around the area. We went into St. Peters Basilica, walked around the piazza and climbed the 550 stairs to the top of the basilica. It was worth the sweat because the view from up there was amazing. We could see all over Rome. Once down we realized that we were not going to be able to see the Cistine Chapel because it is closed on Sundays. This was a little downer, but didnàt break either of our hearts. Oncewe had our fix of the Vatican we made our way by foot by foot across the Tiber and one to the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. It was a lot of walking, but fun to see all the little alleyways Rome has. We ate dinner at a little cafe near the fountain and then headed off by foot again towards our hotel. On the way we were able to see some more churches and government buildings. We were back in our hotel around 8 or so. After 36 hours of traveling we were both ready for a nights sleep.

Once up on Monday morning and fueled by the breakfast at our hotel we headed off for Ancient Rome. We spent a good chunk of the day in the Colosseum, the Roman Forums and Pallantine Hill. It was very cool to imagine what it was like when people were actually living in these places. We took many shade stops throughout the day since it was very warm. We then made our way towards the Pantheon, and Piazza Navona which again brought us through many small alleyways. After some time realxing in the piazza we again crossed the Tiber into Trastevere for dinner. After a good meal of pasta and wine we went back to the Colosseum to see if it lit up at night, which it wasnt, so back to our hotel we went. Another long day of walking left us tired and sunburnt.

Tuesday we spent on a lot of trains on our way to Pompei. Overall it took us about 3.5 hours to get there, but it was worth it. It was very cool to see the city conserved as best as it could be. It was very easy to imagine what life would have been like there before 60 A.D. The intricate attention to detail in the decoration is above and beyond what we see in houses today. It was an extremely hot day, with not a lot of places to find shelter. We spent about 4.5 hours explorng the area then headed into town for some pizza and a beer and some cribbage. We caught the train back to Rome and arrived back around 9. We had a nice meal not too far from our hotel with another bottle of wine.

Today we are heading to Siena, a little town in Tuscany, for two nights. It will be sad to leave Rome, but nice to get into the countryside of Italy. So far we LOVE Italy, what is not to like, pizza and pasta at every meal, we donàt need anything else.

More from our next stop. . . ..

Mom, will you be sure to print these off to show Grandma and Grandpa Harapat.

Advertisement



11th June 2009

Buena Serra
Awesome, sounds like you guys are having a great time. I'm glad that Pompeii trip worked out and that Mt. Vesuvius did not decide to erupt when you were there!! Keep on enjoying beautiful Italia and all that is yet to come! OLE

Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb