Siena 25 Sept


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
September 26th 2008
Published: September 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Siena - September 25

(Geoff) The first half of the day was spent getting from Rome to Siena. We had booked a car to pick us up at the apartment and were very pleased to have him arrive early. However, that didn't make the task of getting the luggage down the stairs any easier! Still, the traffic at 7:30 am was quiet so we got to the station without any major problems. Once we were at the station, it was then a matter of trying to find our train - difficult really as we weren't sure what destination it would be listed under nor did we know the platform. We took a punt on one train that was there but realised that if we took this one we would end up in Naples instead!

Finally we worked out where we needed to be (and of course our carriage was nearly the furthest away down the platform) and boarded for Chiusi Chianciano, where we had to swap to the train for Siena. This part of the trip was uneventful and we got to Chiusi easily. It was interesting watching the countryside change from Rome's cityscape to rolling farmlands and little towns. The tunnels were a bit of a pain though as each tunnel caused a pressure change that hurt the eardrums and was even worse if an oncoming train passed us in the tunnels as well.

When we had to change trains, we had to scurry as they were announcing the departure as we arrived. Managed to get to platform 5 from platform 1 with the help of two old Italian men who showed us the lift and when it didn't go anywhere, then yelled at us through the closed door “hold the down button down” (but in Italian - so how did we know what they meant - they should have shouted in English!!). I finally got it and we descended to the underpass to change platforms. Pity I didn't see the lift for platform 5 so had to lug the luggage up the stairs and onto the train. Still it all worked out and we arrived in Siena just before noon.

Found our hotel, dropped our luggage and decided to go for a little walk to get our bearings. The little walk ended up being nearly 10 km as we took a circuitous route into the centre of town. We had a look around here but will spend more time tomorrow. As we went we tried to decipher the roadside bus routes and timetables but found it too difficult as we don't know how they list their destinations - there was nothing that looked like anything we knew so have added that to the list of things to ask the staff at the hotel.

In town we did manage to see the amazing cathedral, with its marble facade and multiple spires and Sue has found a street that will bear closer investigation tomorrow. We headed back to the hotel, once again on foot, and after recovering from the trek asked the hotel staff our questions. They have been extremely helpful and we are better armed to sally forth tomorrow and fight the Siena bus system.

We are off to dinner soon so until we update again ..... ciao from Siena



Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb