Rome 24 Sept


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
September 26th 2008
Published: September 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Rome - September 24

(Geoff) Me again, Sue's due for a day off after her marathon effort yesterday. Today was another quiet day (not). We did however have no plans so it was a quiet breakfast for us and off into the town for a quiet stroll and explore. I had wanted to see the Museo di Roma (Museum of Rome) since we first stumbled across the building on Saturday so convinced Sue that we should use our Rome passes to have a look. Unfortunately the second of 2 floors was closed for renovations so we could only see one. That was a bit subdued but did have some interesting pictures and artefacts. This museum seemed to have exhibits mainly concerned with Rome's recent history with some older items as well - it seemed to be a pretty new museum. I guess when you consider all the other museums in Rome and how long they have been established, it is difficult to set up another one and you couldn't find a place big enough to consolidate them all into one anyway!

After this, we continued our stroll, heading for the Piazza Del Venezia. Sue meanwhile was having a good look in the shops and did manage to snatch some booty! We ended up at the Vittorio Emmanuelle (V. E. II) monument and decided to see if we could find the Capitoline Hill behind it. It turned out to be not very difficult and we walked up a flight of steps to find a square with impressive buildings all around and a bronze statue of Marcus Aurelius on his horse. I found a staircase that went behind one of the buildings and it lead to another Basilica. Once again a magnificent Nave ceiling and wonderful paintings/frescoes around the walls. The thing that struck Sue as strange was all around there were lots of crystal chandeliers!! How odd. We were here for nearly 15 minutes when the attendants informed us the church was closing.

We headed out a doorway on the opposite side of the church and came out on the upper areas of the V.E. II Monument (just next to the site of the ancient Roman forum). Just 50 metres from us was a glass sided lift that goes to the top of the monument - Rome passes didn't help us here - so we paid the 7 Euros each and headed to the top. Given the derision the monument is given by the Italians, it certainly presented us with a fabulous panoramic view of the city and an up close view of the two gigantic statues that sit atop the monument. They are called the Quadriga and they are statues of winged angels riding chariots pulled by a team of four horses. There is one representing freedom and one representing unity. Interestingly enough, the statues were completed and placed at the top of the monument 20 years after it was officially dedicated and opened!! The blurb about these statues says ”each Quadriga weighs about 50 tonnes and stands 11 metres high. Their platforms are 70 metres off the ground and thus the full height of the monument is 81 metres above Piazza Venezia”. Quite impressive and you need a head for heights!

We descended via the multiple stairways on the front of the monument (not sure how many steps but there were lots) and on the way passed the Italian Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, guarded by armed Italian military personnel around the clock - mainly ceremonial I'm sure but they take this duty seriously. Finally back in Piazza Venezia and as it was approaching 1:30, decided to find a place for lunch. Saw a little Caffe in a side alley and had some pasta, but it was pretty average. Sue reckons she saw the “chef” opening pre-prepared packets and reheating them! We won't be going back there and when you compare the meal to yesterdays sumptuous blow-out, it just doesn't cut the mustard!

After lunch, it was time to walk back to the unit checking out the shops as we went. As Rome has a siesta period from 1:00 till 4:00 there was not a lot open and unfortunately for Sue, the shops that looked the most interesting were closed. Still it just whets the appetite for Florence and Paris.

We leave Rome early tomorrow morning and will be in Sienna by lunchtime ( or we're seriously lost!) Ciao for now....


Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb