Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
July 28th 2007
Published: November 30th -0001
Edit Blog Post

So, our time in Italy has unfortunatey come to an end. We left Cinque Terra last week and headed to Florence. We just happened to have to switch trains in Pisa so we decided to hop off for a couple hour to check out the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Very impressive...it's REALLY leaning! A shocking amount as you can see from the pics.

We eventually made it to Florence and spent the afternoon roaming the city. We checked out a couple street markets and the Duomo, somethia crazy big dome shaped cathedral. The next day we went to the Gallery Acadamia, which is where Michelangelo's David is on display. I'm not really much of an art person but this statue was IMPRESSIVE. It made the trip to Florence completely worth it. It was sooo big and incredibly lifelike. You can see in the pics, which I risked my life and my camera to take. Pictures aren't allowed, but I just had to try, it was to impressive not to. We then went to the Santa Croce Church to see the tombs of Galileo and Michelangelo.

That afternoon we caught a train to Rome where we spent the next 4 days. That night we wandered the city checking out all the ruins. It's crazy how much there is to see there. The next day was a Sunday so we decided to head to Vatican City. We got there in the morning in time to attend mass at St Peter's Basilica which was crazy. There were so many people there, both attending mass and just watching the people attend mass. That afternoon we headed to the Colisseum and the Roman Forum ruins. I love ruins and archeological sites so this was probably the highlight of my time in Rome.

The next morning we headed back to Vatican City to see the Vatican museum. Now this was an impressive museum. There were rooms and rooms of ancient greek and roman sculptures, and of course the Sistine Chapel which was probably more impressive than I had expected. That night we went with a few people from the hostel to drink some wine on the Spanish Steps..awesome. The next day we took a day trip to Pompeii, which is an archiological site of an old town that was covered by a volcanic eruption about 2000 years ago. It was literally an entire city you could walk through. They even had plaster copies of some of the people they found while excavating in the positions they were in just before being covered with lava. It was both very interesting and kind of creepy.

The next day we headed to Venice, which could possibly take over from Porto as my new favorite city. It was gorgeous, with all the canals and the waterfront. Unfortunately we didn't take a gondola ride (120€!!) but we did take the public boat-bus up the river, which we like to call the backpacker's gondola. We still got all the awesome views for only 6€.

We then took a night train to Nice for some relaxation. We spent pretty much the entire first day on the beach, and the next day we took a day trip to Monaco. Wow. Now that is a rich place, as you can see from the pics. My personal favorite is the yacht with the two boats parked inside it.

Then this morning we caught a train to Milan, which is where we are now waiting to catch our next train to Switzerland!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



9th August 2007

Hey Jenny! Glad to see you're having a great time! Its funny because we have been to many of the same places , but in a totally different order!! Enjoy Germany, it was one of my favorite countries! ...after all; Germany is the land of chocolate!!(in 'Hans' accent) Did you stay at Villa St.Exupery in Nice?? Enjoy the rest of your trip! Andrew
9th August 2007

It Brings Back Memories
Now this brings back memories for me.......Monaco.......Nice.......Rome......it all looks so beautiful. Yes you have to be richhhhhhhhh to live or spend any time in Monaco but you can do it for free too which I am sure you did. I am envious of Venice. That looks like it would be my favorite city. I am so glad you went there I wanted to see it so much. I loved all your comments and pics......miss you and I will see you soon.......Luv you a bunch Mom
9th August 2007

Italy
Well again ,unreal absolutly beautiful.So no italian men ???What's with that .You must have some story to tell ??Anyhow loved the pictures I am with you on the ruins thing that's my cup of tea also.I think the Pompeii thing would hav ebeen very interesting .Loved the pictures ...Keep on having fun . Safe Journey ! Kim

Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb