Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Thessaly » Meteora
July 19th 2007
Published: July 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So, finally some free time to send an update! So we ended our time in Spain with one more day in San Sebastian doing some hiking around the city, and then 2 days in Barcelona. We took our first night train from San Sebastian to Barcelona and I must say, it was surprisingly the best night's sleep we'd had in a long time. We were expecting to be sleeping in uncomfortable train chairs but lucky us we got actual beds. A luzury we hadn't had in almost a week because we'd been camping.

So Barcelona was awesome. The architecture there is incredible. We went to La Sagrada Familia, the famous Gaudi temple and a few other well known Gaudi buildings. His work is very strange but also very cool. It kind of reminded me of something you'd see in a Dr Seuss book. The next day we spent mostly at the beach on the Barcelona waterfront. We then caught a night train to Milan, where we flew out the next day to Athens!

So, Greece was absolutely amazing. It was the one spot so far I truly didn't want to leave. We arrived in Athens pretty late in the evening and went for supper, where we descovered the wonderful gyro, my new favorite food. Similar to a donair, but better. We literally ate nothing but gyros and ice cream the whole time we were there. The next day we did some site seeing. Unfortunately the acropolis was closed due to a worker's strike (what are the chances??!) But we were able to see Theatre of Dionysus, the Temple of Olympian Zeus, and the Roman Stadium. The Acropolis was going to be open during the week so we planned on coming back to visit on our way out of Greece. That night we had a few drinks with some other travellers on the hostel's rooftop bar, with an incredible view of the Acropolis.

The next day we caught a ferry to Mykonos, one of the Greek islands. The place we were staying at was basically like a resort. It was amazing! It was right on the beach with restaurants, bars, clubs...We even had our own private cabin. During the day we'd lounge on the beach and in the evening there was a nightly beach party. Our second day there we decided to go into town and see the island. So we rented a 4 wheeler. It was hilarious! The two of us cruising around the island on ATV. It basically felt like a city wide go cart race since most of the people on the roads were riding either 4 wheelers or scooters. And there aren't really any road rules, it's basically a free for all. So during our travels we ended up finding this hidden restaurant/pool bar on this beach at the other end of the island which was absoultely gorgeous. We ended up spendingb our afternoon lounging by the pool. Then on our way back to town...disaster struck. Well not really...our 4 wheeler broke down. So we had to wait on the side of the road for about an hour and a half before someone came to help us out. Needless to say it was an adventure considering nobody spoke English and we had no phone and no idea where we were. But we made it home in the end. So yesterday we very reluctantly left Mykonos and caught a ferry back to Athens and were able to squeeze in a visit to the Acropolis (incredible, one of the highlights of my trip so far) and one last gyro before catching our flight to Milan.

This morning we came to La Spezia so that we could go to Cinque Terra, which is a really nice hike along about 12 km of coastline through 5 tiny towns. It was absolutely beautiful. The scenery and the towns was very much worth the almost entirely uphill hike in the 35 degree weather. Luckily there were places to swim all along the way so we were able to stop and cool off every hour or so.

So, now we're in La Spezia for the night and heading to Florence tomorrow morning. Can't wait! Everyone I've talked to has said Florence is one of the favorite spots they've travelled. I'll try to update soon! Hope all is well with everyone at home 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



20th July 2007

WOW ...WOW ...WOW
Jenny I can't believe what you are doing and what you are seeing. It is truely breathe taking and you look like you are having a ball. You will never want to leave..........I like Greece the best. It looks absolutely like heaven. So white and beautiful. I may never get their but I can see it through your eyes. I look forward every Friday for a new blog.........it gets me through the weekend. Keep writing and sending lots of pictures. I miss you so much. Luv You A Bunch. MOM
20th July 2007

what a trip!
Hi Jenny, so glad that Rick sent me your blog. I can't believe what a trip you are having. It is truly the trip of a lifetime. I love the pictures too. I would say "have fun" but I can see that you are already doing that. I'll check in again later, so keep us posted. From Joanne
22nd July 2007

Beautiful Pictures
Hi Jen Well, the wait for the latest update was worth it! The pictures are the best yet! I can see why you have a hard time to find the time to update the blog....why sit at a computer when you can see all the beautiful scenery around you? Can't wait to hear all the details about your 4-wheeler breakdown experience. I'm glad you weren't alone. Anyway, keep up the great blog...I check it every day. I'm sure you'll love Italy, enjoy the gelato! Stay safe and have fun Ciao Dad

Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb