5 Life-Changing Historic & Cultural Attractions in Rome, Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
May 29th 2019
Published: May 29th 2019
Edit Blog Post



Rome is arguably one of the most famous cities on the planet. It would be difficult to find someone who had never heard of this ancient and culturally rich metropolis. There are so many historic and cultural attractions here that it's best to ensure you'll be in the city for as long as you possibly can, to make sure you don't miss out. When you arrive in Rome, remember to pick up your rental car at Fiumicino Airport.

Securing a vehicle to drive during your stay will help you to get around Rome securely, and if you wish you can take public transportation from the airport into the city and save some money by arranging pick-up at a downtown location in Rome. Many airports in Europe charge a surcharge for picking up and dropping off vehicles at the airport terminal, so this is a helpful tip to save you a few dollars on your transportation in Rome.

Let's talk about some of Rome's most popular attractions!

The Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel




You simply cannot visit Rome without visiting the Vatican Museums and seeing the famous Sistine Chapel with its frescos by Michelangelo. Make sure to reserve your tickets for a tour of the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapels well in advance, as they tend to sell out early. While you're in the museums, you'll be certain to see the Raphael Rooms and spiral staircase. When you go on your tour, you'll see many different sections of the palaces.

Piazza Navona




The Piazza Navona is perhaps the most famous of Rome's public squares. It was established in the late 15th century. There are many shops and cafes here, so you'll enjoy browsing and enjoying a relaxing coffee. You'll see a number of fantastic monuments, including the Fountain of the Four Rivers by Gian Lorenzo Bernini.

Galleria Borghese




The Galleria Borghese is partly a museum and partly a villa. It was commissioned to be built in the 17th century and is one of Rome's best art galleries. It has two floors of fabulous rooms, containing sculptures and other decorative works of art. There are lovely gardens, too.

The Pantheon




The Pantheon was built in 120 AD. The Italian Kings Umberto I and Emmanuel II and Raphael are buried here. This historic landmark is free to visit and is located in the Piazza della Rotanda, which is a pleasant place to have gelato, coffee, or a slice of pizza. The Pantheon was once a Roman temple and today serves as a church. It is famous for having perfect proportions.

The Spanish Steps (at the Piazza di Spagna)




The Spanish Steps are found at the Piazza di Spagna. They were named for the Embassy of Spain, which is found nearby. These stairs were seen as a source of inspiration and walked upon by famous writers such as Lord Byron and Balzac. In the spring, you'll enjoy the sight of colorful azaleas.

Have a Fantastic Time in Rome!



With so much to see and do in this ancient city, you're certain to have a vacation you'll never forget in Rome! Remember to take lots of pictures and store up tales to tell friends and family back home.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.58s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.2242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb