Bella Italia on Lake Garda and Verona 5 October 2013


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Verona
October 6th 2013
Published: October 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Bella Italia on Lake Garda and Verona 5 October 2013

After the 1st night at Bella Italia camp site, we decided to make it our base while we drove back east, to Verona. This city of over a 260,000 people is famous for Shakespeare’s play, Romeo and Juliette as well as a well preserved, Roman Amphitheatre. Kerrie had already visited Verona but only briefly, so she (as were we) keen to visit the city again.

We arrived mid morning and found a park close to the cold city wall. We had no trouble finding the Amphitheatre and went in to have a look through. The Museum was closed so that made the decision not to visit, easy. It is a well preserved amphitheatre and was being set up for an opera (we thought). Gemma and I walked up to the top of the steps and shouted down to Tom & Kerrie. The acoustics were fantastic.

We then walked down many of the narrow streets which were lined with beautiful shops. We could had spent hours browsing. We then found the balcony where Romeo called out to Juliette. It is now the courtyard that many couples seal their love with leaving notes or putting pad locks against the walls. It’s a very popular tourist place now.

Shakespeare placed star-crossed Romeo Montague and Juliet Capulet in Verona for a good reason apparently: romance, drama and fatal family feuds have been the city’s hallmark for years. From the 3rd century BC, Verona was a Roman trade centre, with ancient gates and grand amphitheatres – but Shakespearean tragedy came with the territory. The city’s history is blotted frequently with murders of kings by their wives, and then additional murders for revenge. It makes an interesting read.

After getting tired feet again, we drove back to Bella Italia at Lake Garda. Gemma found that all the jumping castles were not inflated as it had been a wet day, so we went to another playground in the camp site.

That night we had a beautiful meal in the Campsites top restaurant. Gemma wasn’t excessively hungry as we had a pre-dinner snack, but non-the-less she did well. While the adults were chatting, she watched a movie on her iPad. Of course everyone was fascinated at the sock under the top of her head phones (so the ear pieces were positioned better on her ears).

We all went to bed satisfied once again. We were having a lovely time together. It was so good to have Kerrie & Gemma share some of travel experiences – and to give Kerrie a good holiday.

That evening, Kerrie started to pack he suitcases as tomorrow was her departure day – very sad xxoo.

She was going home with lots of memories and lots of purchases which will help her to remember this holiday.

After a good sleep, we packed up everything and headed for the Milan Airport.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb