Verona


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Verona
July 14th 2005
Published: July 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Beginning of the operaBeginning of the operaBeginning of the opera

It's tradition to light candles to signal the beginning of the opera, because the Arena used to not have electricity (obviously) and candles held by the audience were the lights.
In fair Verona is where we lay our scene...

We took off from class for Verona. We got to Verona, took the wrong bus but it went in the right direction at least, and headed UP A MOUNTAIN (basically) for our hostel... yes I said hostel. It wasn't so bad. There were 14 of us, 9 of which were girls, so we were in a 10-person room with some other girl. After dropping our stuff into a locked dresser, we went to the Arena area and ate an AMAZING dinner. That was the best pizza I've had while in Italy. Then climbed to the very top row of the Arena to watch the opera Aida. I found out I'm not one for operas. It was a great experience to be watching an opera in an ancient arena, but the stone steps we were sitting on coupled with the European's lack of regard for personal space got me a little antsy by the third hour of the opera. Also I had no idea really what was going on. After the opera, we returned to the hostel where we'd missed our curfew, but it's okay for opera-goers so no lectures from the hostel people. (yeah bad humor, I know.) Sleeping in a hostel was also ok because the beds weren't that bad and we were waking up at 5:45 a.m. anyway.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb