3 days in Verona, Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Verona
September 29th 2022
Published: September 30th 2022
Edit Blog Post

La TraviataLa TraviataLa Traviata

And yes, that is a real live horse
After a mid-morning train ride, we arrived in Verona where we had 3 nights of Opera. We found our Airbnb and settled in.

Our apartment was a 1 bedroom, 1 bath with a kitchen, living room and dining room. There was a balcony outside of the living room that had a table and 2 chairs. This was on what we call the 2nd story here but level 1 in Europe.

The apartment was within walking distance, maybe 10 min, to the Arena. Along the way we passed many little outdoor restaurants and lots of gelato stands.

The operas are held at the Verona Arena built in 30AD. The opera starts at dark, ending sometimes after midnight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verona_Arena

We have found that the people who are seen, sit in the bottom front section. Women are usually in sequin dresses, some trailing on the floor. Jewels abound. Men are in the most fashionable suits; this year snug jackets and very snug pants with dress shoes and no socks or very short socks.

We buy a couple of glasses of wine and people watch before the show and during the intermissions. Maybe next year we will spring for a fashionable glass of champagne.

As our checked bag with our opera clothes did not arrive (no fancy sequin dress for me or suit for Dale) we dressed in our best tops and clean blue jean bottoms. But we were fancier than some who wore shorts. My pearls always stay with me so at least I dressed up a bit more.

We watched 3 operas over 3 nights, as mentioned above. In order of attending, we saw La Traviata- Sept 1st, Turandot- Sept 2nd and Nabucco Sept 3rd. La Traviata was our least favorite but we still enjoyed it.

Turandot’s Nessun Dorma was amazing and so popular that it is sung twice. The set was so opulent, so beautiful, so stunning. We were overwhelmed. This link is Luciano Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma
">


This is a small clip from the opera we saw
">


Nabucco was rained out last year so we were anxious to see it. The set wasn’t so spectacular as the Turandot but it suited the opera. The ‘Va, pensiero’ could be Italy’s national anthem as it is loved so much. The Italians know the words and some sing along. This is
Dinner before the operaDinner before the operaDinner before the opera
also sung twice as it is so loved.

Here is a small clip from the one we saw: ">


And from U-tube: ">


Our schedule while in Verona was that we woke up sometime between 9 -10, made Italian coffee and drank it on the balcony. We then made a little breakfast and ate that on the balcony. We’d then walk down to the Plaza Bra or Plaza Erbe and sit and drink an iced coffee.

At about 5pm we’d head down to the Plaza Bra where there were a couple of restaurants that served gluten free dishes. If you haven’t been to Italy before, meals are not to be rushed, rather dinner is an event in itself.

About 7:30 the gates at the Arena would open and we’d walk over to our gate. We’d find our seats, get some wine and sit back to watch those who were arriving to see and be seen. By 8:45pm the opera would start and we’d enjoy our wine and the program.

After the opera was over, we’d walk back to our apartment and set out our antipasti on the balcony; olives, meats, cheeses and wine. We’d
Turnadot setTurnadot setTurnadot set
watch the people walking by singing or talking. Sometimes they’d look up to see us and we’d wave. Finally, by about 2 am things would calm down and we’d be turning in to rest up for the next day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Late night antipastaLate night antipasta
Late night antipasta
Coffee in Plaza ErbeCoffee in Plaza Erbe
Coffee in Plaza Erbe

The guy on the left is actually standing in a box. He has a little horn that he uses to scare people
NabuccoNabucco
Nabucco
Some of the beautiful peopleSome of the beautiful people
Some of the beautiful people


Tot: 0.772s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.4425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb