Hanging out in Rome and A Day at the Herculaneum


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Ercolano
August 29th 2022
Published: September 5th 2022
Edit Blog Post

After sitting on the balcony drinking a couple of glasses of wine, we slept in super late after all of the travel struggles. The apartment was small but 2 sets of French doors leading to 1 long balcony opened the room up.

We had nothing planned for the day except to go to Tazza d’Oro for the best iced coffee ever. Our room was just down the street from the Colosseum so It was a bit of a walk but we needed to get out and about.

Along the walk we found a men’s shop and stopped to buy 2 new short-sleeve shirts for Dale as he only had the one, he’d worn on the plane. The Italian shirts were so nice and lightweight, perfect for the warm weather.

After we each had 2 cups of coffee, we were sufficiently fueled up to walk a little more. We wandered down the streets working our way back to dinner at the gluten free restaurant. The colosseum and forum were lit up making for a romantic walk at end of the day.

We got a late start again but were determined to go to the Herculaneum. This is an
Colosseum at nightColosseum at nightColosseum at night

A view of the Colosseum, Forum and Capitoline Hill at night
area near Pompeii and was also affected by the devastating eruption but in a different way so that more buildings are intact.

https://www.visitpompeiivesuvius.com/en/herculaneum

The area is lots smaller than Pompeii so it is easier to see nearly every building in an afternoon. But, with my stopping to shoot a ton of photos, well, we were there until they were about to kick us out.

Some of the homes were so complete, it was easy to imagine a family living in the house but additionally, how scarry it must have been for them during the eruption.

We didn’t get to climb Mt. Vesuvius but maybe we will make it back another time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

One of the streetsOne of the streets
One of the streets

Excavations only extend to the lava and mud on the right.


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb