Opera at the Verona Arena


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Verona
July 15th 2021
Published: July 15th 2021
Edit Blog Post

We had a full day of staying in Verona because we had the opera in the evening. The opera, Aida, was playing at the Verona Arena. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verona_Arena

I don’t remember how I heard about the opera festival in Verona but I did read about it several years ago. We wanted to go 2 years ago but I don’t remember what happened, then last year it was canceled. As soon as tickets were available for this year, I bought them.

And so it was that we went to the Verona Arena to hear Aida! We found the arena turned into a setting for an opera. The opera started at 9 pm just before sunset and would run until close to midnight. Our seats were in the center, front row on the 3rd level and had a clear view of the stage.

The weather had threated rain but the storms stayed to the north and didn’t rain a drop. The performance was so wonderful and the sound system amazing. We sat in the stadium type seats set up in the 1st 3 sections. In sections above the stadium type seats, the people sit on are the original stone seats.

Because of Covid, social distancing was practiced and there were fewer in the audience. This meant that the arena was not jam packed with people. We were spaced with a seat between each of us. It was fine as we moved closer together as the opera when on.

Also, because of Covid, the opera was slightly different. There was more digital display and a choral group who were dressed in black to blend with the background, were along the front side. There were also people who blended with the background who were in the background holding lights which gave an unearthly feel.

We did want to go to the Roman Ruins, these are old ruins on the hill just on the other side of the river. There is an amphitheater there as well but very small. Small venues are held in this theater. We walked to the ruins, rode the funicular to the top of the hill then walked down. On the way we stopped at the café for an iced coffee before continuing down to the ruins and museum.

After a day of exploring ruins, and not doing much else we were ready for the opera again. This time it was Nabbuco. We did not know the music but were decided that we would stay no matter what. Again, rain was forecast.

The concert started on time but soon after the overture rain drops started falling, not much but enough to send the orchestra flying away, as I overheard someone on a train put it. The drips stopped, the orchestra returned and the 1st act picked up where it left off. Alas, before the 1st act was over it started raining again. This time, it really started raining and as it poured down the audience streamed into the arena. There we stood in the arena tunnels, probably much like the audiences many years ago. As we waited the announcer would say, “Have patience, we are making a decision”. Finally, the decision was made to cancel the performance. We did get a discount certificate for another opera and hope to try again next year.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 29; dbt: 0.082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb