City Underwater


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
October 21st 2006
Published: October 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello again!

Well it was a long journey to get to Venice - 2 long days of travelling. We left Santorini on Thursday night and spent a long, sleepless night in Athens airport then finally boarded our plane to Rome at 9am. We kept ourselves busy doing crossword puzzles and talking to strangers! After a little wait for our train we were on our way to beautiful Venice.

It was an awesome sight when we came out of the train station! Everyone was trying to catch water taxi's and water buses to their hotels - it was crazy. Lucky for us we could walk.

Unfortunately we only had a short stay and it was raining the next day so not many good photos to share with you. It is a memory that we will have to treasure.

However, we experienced a ride on the water bus into the old part of the city. It was sad to see how much is already underwater and damaged by time. The pathways even have wooden boards on scaffolds to walk around on when the tide is high and the waterside restaurants get washed away.

There was a beautiful church
The city of GondolasThe city of GondolasThe city of Gondolas

Note the hotel in the background!
in the middle of San Marco and the narrow streets with little bridges over the canals were so cute to walk around. We spent lots of time shopping and admiring the amazing masks that they have designed for their yearly festival in February.

The only downside to this trip was that we didn't get to ride in a gondola because of the rain (and the price was a bit steep too!) but it's not so romantic anymore with high speed water taxi's racing around you!

All in all it was a beautiful place and something you need to see for yourself.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb