Volcano Island


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini
October 15th 2006
Published: October 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Santorini at 10pm and we couldnt see much but we knew we were going up hill in the bus. The road up was a zigzag pattern and a little scary because there wasnt much on the side. We dropped off some people at one place and drove a little further until the driver said this is as far as we go the rest is on foot. We thought he was joking but he wasnt. We had to find our way down a maze of stairs to our hotel. It was right on the edge of the cliff. We couldnt wait to wake up and see what it was like.

Well, it was amazing! Words or even pictures cant truly capture what it is like. Our hotel was excellent. It had a patio area that looked like it was balancing on the rocks. The view of the volcano was great and the sunbeds were looking inviting.

We got a bit of sunbaking in on the first day and even ended the day with a cheese platter and wine on the balcony, but after that the weather was awful. We had thunderstorms and gale force winds. The second day we didnt leave our room until we were so hungry we had to brave it outside. We had to climb the labrynth of stairs that had turned into a cascading waterfall! At the top it was like a cyclone had hit...this was not what we thought the Greek Islands would be like!

The next day it cleared for enough time to allow us to go on an excursion to the volcano and hot springs. We walked around the top of the 5 craters that have been created over 3600 years, luckily its dormant now. When we got to the hot springs they stopped the boat and pulled the stairs down and said, "you can swim to the hot springs over there by the church". Wayne had a heart attack not only with the distance to swim but the temperature of the water you had to swim through first! I braved it and dived in. It was a long way and they werent so hot when I got there. The water on the way back was even colder but I made some new friends from Canada to keep me company.

The boat ride back was bumpy but nothing compared to the donkey ride back up the hill! They were crazy. I had Grumpy Ass and Wayne had Sad Ass. It seemed to take for ever to get to the top and we laughed all the way! The poor things though - there had been 3 cruise ships in that morning and they had been working hard to take the hundreds of tourists into town.

So overall the views were amazing, the weather was crap and we never got to see the postcard sunset that everyone talks about!




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Rock GodRock God
Rock God

At the volcano


24th October 2006

You're very brave Cherie, I'd be on Wayne's side - No way would I swim!! Poor sad ass and grumpy ass.. So how come you got stuck with Grumpy and Wayne got Sad? Haha :)

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.039s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb