Venice - "Special"


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
May 16th 2005
Published: May 23rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

CarnivalCarnivalCarnival

A few of the original masks. This store also supplied masks for the movie Eyes Wide Shut.
Well i arrived in Venice on Monday the 16th and was there till the Thursday the 19th. Venice was just SPECIAL an amazing place where you could just wander and loose yourself. I just wandered for ages each day going down little side allys and just exploring this city and getting lost.

Carnival is a huge thing here and the masks are just amazing, although there are quite a few that look like (and i am sure they are) made in China, but the originals were definatley something spectacular.

I also went for a ride out to one of the outlying islands "Murano" and this place also was loveley, it was very quiet and not a lot of tourist on the day i went which made it quite pleasant. Murano is famous for its glass blowing which i saw in a number of places these guys are just artists and the pieces they produce splendid.

My last day in Venice i had a 10.30am checkout of my hotel and decided to make the trip to the airport at Treviso (approx 30km out) and check in my bags and take a look around the town. On arriving at this
St Marks' BasilicaSt Marks' BasilicaSt Marks' Basilica

Mark.....mmmmmm
small airport where the security consisted of two army personel with machine guns hanging over their shoulders, i found out there was no such thing as early check in. It was 11.30am and my flight to London was not till 4.30pm and there was also nowhere to leave your luggage and after doing a spot of shopping in Florence i had too much stuff to cart around this town which consisted of..........nothing really.

So i had a pleasant 5 hour sit at the airport waiting for my flight..........by the time i arrived at my freinds place in london for the weekend it was an 11 hour ordeal. Just something else to add to the story of my trip really.

None the less i loved Venice and cant wait to return!!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

St Marks' SquareSt Marks' Square
St Marks' Square

Popular fellow?
Venice 1Venice 1
Venice 1

Venice 1
Venice 2Venice 2
Venice 2

Venice 2
Venice 3Venice 3
Venice 3

Venice 3
Venice 4Venice 4
Venice 4

Venice 4
Venice 6Venice 6
Venice 6

Venice 6
Venice 7Venice 7
Venice 7

Venice 7
Venice 8Venice 8
Venice 8

Venice 8
Venice 9Venice 9
Venice 9

Venice 9
Venice at night 1Venice at night 1
Venice at night 1

Venice at night 1


Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb