Venice day1


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
August 29th 2015
Published: September 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Venice Day 1

Toronto to Venice. Jet did not travel in this straight line.

A long flight that was very smooth put us in Venice, Italy. City of canals, churches , ciccheterias, restaurants & bars. Venice was born in the late 5th century and has endured many different cultures and dynasties. We took a shared water taxi from the airport to our hotel (Gabrielli) which had our room facing the lagoon. The lagoon is the super highway in Venice with the Grand Canal being a 4 lane arterial road and the rest of the 150 canals connecting the 118 islands that make up Venice. The shared taxi gave us an overview of what we were looking at for the next few days. It is hot but we can deal with the heat. It’s the humidity that is the killer. We had time to drop to drop our bags and scoot out for our 1sttour. Wine and tapas like food called cicchetti (pronounced chick at tee). Too many different foods to list and all of the wines were great! Even discovered a Venetian drink called a Spritz (wine, sparkling water and a liqueur) very refreshing. Heading back to the hotel we weren’t familiar enough to find water bottles until we got back to the hotel and I ended up paying the price (calf and shin cramps in the middle of the night). When we did find some water it was in a stand by the water that also served beer.No wonder we were tired, they have over 400 bridges here.

What an archaic culture we come from in North America.

Tomorrow we move over to the ship.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

CanalCanal
Canal

love the different coloured poles which used to identify the different family residences
CicchettiCicchetti
Cicchetti

ham with cheese - deep fried
CicchettiCicchetti
Cicchetti

Crostini with different meats, melon slices & cheese
San Marco SquareSan Marco Square
San Marco Square

night time and it is still busy
Snack standSnack stand
Snack stand

serves all kinds of drinks.. water, wine beer. Right out on the edge of the docks


Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.09s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb