Day 32


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
June 19th 2015
Published: June 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

No set plans today as we head off to explore more of Venice.

We walk from hotel back to the train station and leave the main tourist district taking all the back streets.

You forget easily that everything in Venice has to be either brought by boat or taken by boat.

Renovations, cement mixers, fruit deliveries, rubbish and supplies are all by boat.

Also most things off the boats are then handled by manual labor or by hand trolley to their destination.

There are no push bikes, motor scooters or cars in Venice, only boats and people.

As we clamber through the backstreets, people have left their rubbish out and there is a manual pick up from laneway to laneway, by a person pulling a hand trolley.

The layout of Venice is many small laneways that all lead to a local square, where there is restaurants, shops and a church.

The lanes are tight, but the meeting points are open spaces designed to bring the local community together.

We head back for lunch and take a water taxi over to Murano Island which houses all of Venices glass factories.

After a demonstration of glass blowing and chandelier making, we look at the many different products on offer.

With the day at an end its off the little Asian restaurant as we are sick off Pasta, pizza, meats and cheeses.

Walking home we run into an American couple we met in Florence at a restaurant, which surprises us all.

We watch as he has a foot pedicure with tiny fish cleaning his feet.

With rain falling we head home.

It was another great day In the city of waterways.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb