Wednesday 15th


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
April 15th 2015
Published: April 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We took our time getting ready – and getting everything into our carry-on bags – and made our way to the station. Using our electronic tickets was easy and we settled in for the ride to Venice.

Arrived mid-day in Venice and took a water taxi to the hotel. We upgraded our room to one with a small view of the lagoon and a ROUND bed! Very large and very comfortable, but our first round bed. This is not a bordello but we feel a little like we are in one – gold and blue velvet chairs and velvet cover for the bed. But with a view of San Georgio Maggiore across the lagoon.

We immediately went out for a quick lunch and ended up at Piazza Santa Maria Formosa and one of the restaurants on the square. It was quick and inexpensive and we returned to the hotel for a brief rest before taking a walk toward Piazza San Marco, looking at shops along the way. We ended up at Caffe Florian, perhaps the oldest café in Europe. They have a small orchestra playing (and they charge for sitting and listening) but we sat and had a drink while we watched the activity in the square and listened to the good music. We ended up engaging a couple from Connecticut that has been staying at the Bauer Il Palazzo hotel for 10 days and enjoying their break from the weather at home. They were truly charming and most thoughtful in their approach to travel and to work. They suggested a restaurant, Bistro de Venise, which we attempted to find but failed, so we went to our old favorite, Antico Martini, next to the Fenice Theatre. As always the service was good and the food superb (although their attempt at gluten free pasta failed and we had to go back to their fresh pasta). Contented we wandered back to the hotel and settled in for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb