Thursday 16th


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
April 16th 2015
Published: April 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

John was up early and walked to Realto Bridge and got some pictures. Took the vaporetto (water bus) back to San Marco and got some more pictures. Then breakfast together before a quick walk to the church of San Giovanni e Paolo and its beautiful interior. Before our walk we made arrangements for lunch at Locanda Cipriani on Torcello in the northern part of the lagoon. We’ve been there before and it is great food and very peaceful. The hotel has an agreement with one of the Murano glass factories to ferry people out for a demonstration and then give them a chance to buy at their “factory store” – and Murano is halfway to Torcello. We enjoyed the presentation – the master glass blowers are amazing and so very casual – but the prices are high because, after all, it is an art and takes a lifetime to develop the skill. Buying a set of glasses we don’t use – or something else to go into storage – really doesn’t make sense, no matter how beautiful it may be. So we thanked our guide/sales person and walked through Murano to the vaporetto stop where we picked up the next boat to Torcello where we settled in for a lengthy and relaxing lunch. Afterwards we took a water taxi back to San Marco (many pictures) and a quick rest before going out again. We settled in at the Gritti Palace for a drink (the local “spritzer”) and the six o’clock bells from Santa Maria Della Salute across the Grand Canal. What a wonderful way to end the day.

We walked back through Piazza San Marco as the crowds dwindled and the pace slowed. What a relaxing and restful day, even with all the picture-taking.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0784s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb