Splendour of the Seas - Greek Isles Cruise 2013 - Day 1


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
October 19th 2013
Published: October 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today started much earlier than normal at 03.50. Getting up at such an ungodly hour is tempered (slightly) by the fact that we are off on our jollies. The Premier Inn Manchester Airport is no Savoy but it served its purpose and meant we didn't have to get up even earlier. Quick shower and we head down to the car for the short drive to the Meet & Greet where we drop the keys off and head into Terminal 1.

We now enter headless chicken territory where normal, sensible and sane people lose all sense of decorum and in some cases dignity. The ability to follow signs and directions seems to allude some and you can see the sense of panic jump from one family member to another like a virus when faced with the simple task of finding their check-in desk or even the toilets. One family, 2 adults with 3 kids of various ages block the security checkin with bodies, bags and prams. The mother is obviously flustered, the children clearly upset and the father is stood in their midst screaming "don't panic". Quite.

Security is a breeze and once airside we quickly head to duty free and purchase 2 bottles of Veuve Clicquot for the ship. We do like a glass of bubbly at sail away and the Veuve is a fave. I look for some aftershave but can't make my mind up. After a coffee it is soon time to head for gate 23 for boarding. It's still dark as we take off from Ringway and flight time to Venice is a nifty 2hours 7 mins. The flight is fairly uneventful but the Alps do look glorious in their mantle of snow, the early morning sun casting deep shadows across the alpine valleys and glinting off the lakes and tarns. As we had the flights booked via Royal Caribbean it included transfers but unbeknown to me Peter had booked a private limo transfer and before we know we are heading to the cruise terminal with Alexandro our driver.

Splendour of the Seas is the smallest cruise ship we have sailed on but that's not to say she is a tub. At over 70,000 tonnes she was one of the biggest ship in the world when she was launched back in the 96. She is berthed alongside MSC Divina, Norwegian Jade and Carnival Sunshine, all bigger than she. We check in and board quickly. From the starboard side we have a glorious vista of Venice itself with the Campanile dominating the skyline, it's sad we don't have the time to explore the city fully, perhaps another time. Peter orders the wine package and we head up to the Windjammer Cafe for lunch. Peter has his usual burger and fries and I have a delicious tomato and mozzarella baguette with Waldorf Salad.

We have sailed out of many ports around the world but Venice takes some beating. It's glorious. We have a small flotilla of boats as escort as we head down the Canale Della Guidecca and pass close by St. Peter's Square where multiple flashes from the cameras of the tourists take Splendours photo as we sail serenely by. The sleek Gondolas bob gently in our wake as Andrea Bocelli's rich tone sings Con Te Partiro over the ships speakers as we head out into the Adriatic. We head back to the cabin and pop the champagne for our traditional sail away drink. We clink glasses and toast a Happy cruise.

In the evening we head to the Diamond Lounge and enjoy a few complimentary drinks before dinner. The main restaurant on Splendour is called the King & I and we'd both enjoy a starter of Smoked Fish Rilettes (delicious) and then Caesar Salad. Peter has Grilled Chicken Breast for main and I have Liguini Pomodoro (messy but nice). Dessert is Carrot Cake for Peter, Ice Cream for me. Two large brandies in the Viking Crown follow to round of a pleasant dinner.

We have a flutter in the Casino Royale (we end up 5 dollars, woohoo) and then a cocktail in the Schooner Bar. By this time the early start has then caught up with us both so we retire to the stateroom and are soon fast asleep.

Tomorrow. Dubrovnik, Croatia.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.323s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb