Venice!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
September 28th 2011
Published: September 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Venice without incident. Maureen and Fred had a different tale. Their flight from Düsseldorf was delayed about two hours. We had no trouble taking public transport 5 Euros to the main square Piazzale Roma, but then had to lug all our luggage up and over two bridges. It was hot; we were tired, and it was difficult. The Hotel Marin was great. Old hotel with very nice staff and very clean.

We met M&F later in the afternoon and took a vaparetto (public transport by boat) ride along the Grand Canal. Venice is sooo very busy! Speed boats, gondolas, ferries, etc. all over the water and never getting in each other's way. Amazing.

We've done a lot of walking along the paved stone streets among the crowds. There are thousands of people walking everywhere...and no cars or vehicles of any kind! Everyone we've met has been helpful and friendly.

The girls did a lot of shopping, and we all did a lot of walking. We've seen churches, canals, clock towers, steeples, many old buildings. A highlight was our vaparetto ride to the Murano glass factories. The Venitians banned the glass makers to their own island after they burned the city a few times hundreds of years ago. We watched a glassmaker blow a tall vase and sculpt a prancing horse. Very skilled. We then continued by vaparetto to Burano to see the lace. Apparently, this is where you buy lace. However, the island had many beautiful multi-coloured houses along their canals which appealed to me.

By the way, we've taken several hundreds of pictures; especially Maureen, but I can't upload them because of viruses (unless you know of a way-just email me if you can help on that one!)

I've got to scoot as my time is running out...I'm such a slow typer (hunt and peck as you know!). I'll try to keep these blogs coming as often as I can, but it will depend on internet access as the ship is both very expensive and very slooooow!

All the best from our last day in Venice!
Gerry and Jill

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb