Not much today


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
September 18th 2011
Published: September 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Not much to say today - we visited the Peggy Guggenheim Collection. Unfortunately even with an interest in art, I didn't enjoy this any more than John. It was 24Euros to enter, and even though we got to see Picasso's, Dali's, Mondrian's among many more, we just don't 'get' that style of work, and I was more excited by the toothpaste tube lid that I found for the kids!

We did enjoy a gondola ride though across the grand canal and through the smaller canals.

We haven't enjoyed Venice as much as we expected this trip, but I think mostly due to the thousands of tourists and unseasonable heat. It is very hot, although once you can find a shady street the stone is cool. I don't know who locals live in an area with this amount of tourists all of the time. I think Dec Jan is there only quieter times here in Venice. Some streets and areas are just like cattle being herded down the street. Whenever you come across a tour group, I say - here is another bus!. The guide walks along ahead with a pole and something colourful on top for all to follow, and they herd along behind.

We have enjoyed the art in the streets. There are many artist run stands all over the main areas of town, and 3 galleries on every corner, so we have looked in more art galleries in 3 days than in my whole life. The artists on the streets are cheap - 30Euro upwards to about 150 Euro for large works. Many though are obviously painting the same scenes over and over so they would whip them up. We tried to talk one down to 110 today for a large canvas, as that was all the cash we had on us, but he wouldn't budge from 120! We will pass another 20 tomorrow on the way to the train, so might find a little one I like then.

Tomorrow we head to Parma for one night on our journey to Cinque Terre - can't wait to get there. We have several boat tours booked, and the scenery will be magnificent.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Piazza San MarcoPiazza San Marco
Piazza San Marco

St Mark's Square is so large it is hard in photos to give perspective to its size
Gondolars at sunsetGondolars at sunset
Gondolars at sunset

Packing up for the night on the Grand Canal
Lit upLit up
Lit up

The lights just popped on as we were leaving the piazza
Gondolar rideGondolar ride
Gondolar ride

Gondoliers have to duck to get under some bridges
How will we get through?How will we get through?
How will we get through?

Can you see the tiny gap between the boats? Someone has to back up!
Squid ink pastaSquid ink pasta
Squid ink pasta

John tried the pasta with black sauce and had the funniest black lips and teeth. Can't say he enjoyed it!
Jewellery Jewellery
Jewellery

as per last blog I have been fascinated by these brooches.
beesbees
bees

now if I had a million dollars would I wear bees? There were many whimsical pieces in these jewellery stores with precious gems


Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb