Murano & Burano


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Murano
September 17th 2011
Published: September 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

MuranoMuranoMurano

Famous for its glass blowing. The glass blowing furnaces were moved to the lsland of Murano after a bad fire or explosion in Venice
Due to getting lost crossing Venice on foot to the Vaporetto stop for the 3 islands we ended up only having time and energy for the Islands of Murano – famous for its Venetian glass, and Burano – famous for its coloured houses.

We saw some incredible glass items, sculptures, chandeliers, vases and jewellery. It is sad that there are now cheap Chinese copies of Murano glass all over the world – even here there are shops with the Chinese fakes. There are some really exciting modern chandeliers and lamps in several shops, but hundreds of the traditional Venetian glass chandeliers (it helps that all of the ceilings are so high here), and at first sight many seem quite tacky if I dare say (in case anyone Italian is reading this and is mortified). Lit though at night they can look magnificent. I think the Venetians are quite whimsical as there are many 'Carmen Buranda’ styles with grapes and fruits hanging off them. Last night we had dinner at the Hard Rock Café ( I know I know, how could we in Venice go to an American bar, but it was a relief from ordering sides and 1/2 carafes of vino, and no coperto-cover charge or 12% service charge on top of the bill!) and they had a fantastic massive red glass chandelier hanging from quite a low ceiling (as the dining area was like a mezzanine/loft). It looked gorgeous.

It was another trip on the Vaporetto (water bus) that turned us off visiting the third island. You have to line up with 100 people who when the boat arrives they all just push past you to get on. You might be 5th in the line, but then enter the bus about 25th. You have very little hope of a seat, and the standing room is cram packed usually, and they are stiflingly hot. We have been astounded by how rude and obvious people are when they do this, they just don’t care.

We are playing 'Where’s Wally’ with Uncle David lookalikes – in Stresa we saw him shorter with a mustache, yesterday we saw him here while having dinner, then this morning John saw a Gondolier Uncle David glide past our breakfast room window.

Today we will head to the Peggy Guggenheim Collection of Art, where we have to catch a traghetto across the grand canal instead of a vaporetto along it. Everyone stands up in a gondolier and for 1E they cross the canal at places where there are no bridges close. They fit about 20 people standing, so hope our balance is good.

Will upload photos of Murano and Burano later today when I download from the camera.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

MuranoMurano
Murano

Famous for its glass blowing. The glass blowing furnaces were moved to the lsland of Murano after a bad fire or explosion in Venice
Burano housesBurano houses
Burano houses

The houses were really bright and intense colours and well maintained.
Leaning bell towerLeaning bell tower
Leaning bell tower

of Burano (not famous like Pisa but we were afraid to walk under it.
RestingResting
Resting

Can you see the relaxed black pussy in the pot plant? He was in such a relaxed state, not perturbed by the busy cafe surrounds
Leaning bell towerLeaning bell tower
Leaning bell tower

of Burano (not famous like Pisa but we were afraid to walk under it.
Pink pink and more pinkPink pink and more pink
Pink pink and more pink

When choosing to paint your house this bright candy pink, it must be hard to decide on the colour to paint the metal fence! Lilac, of course


Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0753s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb