St Mark's Square; Basilica and Ducal Palace


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
September 18th 2010
Published: October 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

We have buffet breakfast at our hotel. Each of our three hotels on this trip has had a buffet breakfast for us and other hotel guests. The first morning at a new hotel has always been a learning situation. One must first learn where the various foods are placed along the tables, then how to operate the coffee machine, then where the milk and other cold drinks are, and do we use plates or bowls or both? By now, our learning curve has improved at navigating the people, tables and chairs, utensils, and food.

We start by taking the Vaporetto (public transportation system) along the famed Grand Canal to Piazza San Marko. Along the canal we notice the Patrician Palaces, with arches indicating near-Eastern influence. The ride lasts about 45 minutes.

We meet our guide Giullana Rusca and she takes us through St Mark's Cathedral. built during the 13 th century and showing the Byzantine influence. There are more than 45,000 sq feet of mosaics adorning the Church, giving the impression of "streets of gold".

The Ducal Palace next door was the seat of civic and political power.Doges embellished the Palace to demonstrate their wealth and importance. There are murals by Tintoretto and Veronese. Then Giullana led us through several narrow corridors and cells of the prison followed by walking through the bridge of Sighs. ACH! I am glad not to be a prisoner during those times.

It rained today in Venice so we were dealing with umbrellas and wet side walks. John and I were happy because the rain lowered the humidity (Yea) and we were inside most of the time. The line to get in to see St Mark's was long but being a group with reservations, we didn't have to wait. Hooray!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Palace along the canalPalace along the canal
Palace along the canal

Arches show near-Eastern influence


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb