Experiencing Venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
December 15th 2009
Published: December 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So I realized that I’ve posted blogs of all my European adventures, but I haven’t covered home territory very much and I’m kind of lacking on Venice pictures. So I thought I’d post a short blog on our Venice happenings throughout the semester, from class trips to fun excursions. So there are captions with every picture, but here’s a quick lowdown of the major ones!

Thanksgiving: Venice Style- A Thanksgiving without turkey, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie was pretty brutal, but we celebrated Thanksgiving Venice style with our class at a local osteria. I have to admit that we weren’t the biggest fan of the food (a lot of strange seafood!), but I lucked out sitting by Elyse because she got a decent vegetable platter, lots of bread and cheeses. Still wish I got some pumpkin pie though 😊

The Clocktower- We had a Thanksgiving field trip to the clocktower in St. Mark’s Square. This clock is amazing- it not only tells time, but also the phases of the moon and the zodiac. We had a tour of the tower, learning all about the history of the building and exploring the interworkings of the tower. Fun fact- the clocktower actually was a residence for many years and the “manager” of the tower in charge of maintaining the clock would live there with his family. It was surprisingly really interesting, considering I’m not really into gadgets and engineering and such. We ended on the roof of the tower where we got a great view of the square!

The Campanile- So talk about good views- we also climbed the Campinelle in St. Mark’s Square where we were treated to an excellent view of the city and the lagoon. It was a bit of a cloudy day, but it was so cool to get a bird’s eye view of the city where we spend so much time!

Audrey’s Birthday- To celebrate Audrey’s 20th we headed out to an Irish pub for the night. We had a good time watching Audrey do fire shots (crazy!) and just enjoying the Venetian nightlife!

Ravenna- So we went to the town of Ravenna (about a 3 hour drive from Venice) for a day trip. We had a crazy tour guide who kept yelling at everyone to pay attention and kept telling us how she loved human contact and needed to keep touching all of us when she was speaking....strange! So needless to say the day was pretty humerous and we did get to see a few cool Byzantine mosaics. Mosaics are pretty much what Ravenna is known for, and we did get to go to a mosaic workshop where we saw how they make the mosaics....it was pretty cool!

Ok, so the rest of the pictures are pretty random and don't go in a big category, but there are captions to narrate each one!




Additional photos below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



16th December 2009

Can't decide which pictures I like the best!
Hi Steph! I loooooooovvvveeeee all these pictures!!! They really give a great overview of your Venice experience. The picture of you and Elyse on your first day in Venice brought tears to my eyes. You look so full of anticipation and excitement! Just think of all the wonderful adventures you've been blessed to have. I'm going back to look at all the pictures again! Love, Mom

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb