Day 10 and 11


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
May 16th 2009
Published: June 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Amber's Journal:
This will probably be a long entry because I have to write for yesterday too. We were so exhausted we fell asleep before we could write! Yesterday was actually one of the most stressful days of our trip so far. We didn't have a phone to call our hotel in Venice so we tried to email them but the internet/computer wouldn't work and it took forever to find an internet cafe so we ended up leaving town (Innsbruck) much later than planned. Then when we crossed the Italian border we had to pay an 8 Euro toll. Then a little while later we got stopped at another toll that stamped the time on a ticket because apparently you have to pay by the hour to drive on the freeway. By the time we arrived in Venice we had paid 30 Euros in tolls! That's like $40! What's even worse was that it was rainy and hazy the whole time so we didn't get to see much and then on top of that we got lost. Our stupid GPS took us on a wrong turn on a road that didn't have an exit for like 18 kilometers. When we finally got to the right city we got lost again trying to get to the train station, then when we finally got to the station we drove around forever to find parking. We finally got our tickets but then walked around cluelessly because we had no idea where/how/when to catch the right train. Thank goodness for nice people willing to help us. We only had to wait a minute for the train which then took us into Venice. Once there we had to get a vaporetto (water bus) to the Rialto Bridge. The boat was packed with people and we were so obnoxious with our luggage and backpacks. We got off on the Rialto Bridge stop and met Rita, the hotel owner. She led us (very fast) to our hotel through narrow streets and alleys, up and down stairs, over 3 bridges, speaking Italian that we could barely understand. We could hardly keep up with her and I thought my arms would fall off heaving my luggage up and down the stairs! Our hotel is actually a little apartment divided into 2 sections. One section is ours and the other is being used by a cute middle-age couple named Jeff and Linda. They are really fun and very easy to talk to. They are really fun and very easy to talk to. We became friends quickly. Well, this whole exhausting day just happened to be our first wedding anniversary! Since we had such a long day we decided to go on a quiet gondola ride and then out for a nice dinner to celebrate. The gondola rides here are a cool experience but extremely overpriced. We got a great deal and still paid like $75 for a 30 minute ride. It is a cool way to see the city and experience its uniqueness but it also shows how old and dilapidated the city is becoming. It actually looked quite moldy and unkempt and broken down so our first overall impression was not what we were expecting. The ride was still good though. And how many people get to say they spent their anniversary on a gondola ride in Venice?!? Our dinner afterwards was a little pricey but good. Smooth talking Italian waiters are always standing outside their restaurants trying to convince you to eat there. It's really annoying.
Today was much less stressful. We slept in, ate breakfast with our new friends and took our time getting ready. The sun was out and it was a beautiful day. We walked to the Jewish ghetto which was a much quieter part of town. We saw the Rialto Bridge which is a huge bridge lined with shops and markets. We got a ham sandwich and cup of fresh fruit from the stands there and both were delicious. It was a simple sandwich with tomato, lettuce, cheese, and prosciutto on panini bread, but it was probably the most delicious sandwich I've ever had. Yum! Then we went to the Correr Museum which had some cool stuff about the history of Venice. Then we went through St. Mark's Basilica. It was not as exquisite as some other churches we have seen but most of the artwork, including the ceilings and floors, were made with tiny little mosaic tiles and were really quite amazing. Next we went to the Doge's Palace. That was probably my favorite building here. It was very interesting and had some cool rooms, cool artwork, and cool history. We also walked across the Bridge of Sighs and toured the old prison. Afterwards we got more sandwiches and ate them on steps overlooking the water on the Riva (the main street that runs along the Grand Canal where it meets the lagoon). We did some more souvenir shopping then looked around for some good dessert. Venice is very well known for its glass. I wish we could buy some because it is beautiful but anything that is worth getting is expensive (well, for us anyways). When we got back to the hotel we just sat and chatted with Jeff and Linda for a while. They leave tomorrow but we are exchanging email addresses. They live in the Calgary area. They would be fun to keep in touch with. On a side note, I'm very grateful for Preston. This was a great way to spend our anniversary. I think of how stressful yesterday was and how other couples or other husbands would have handled it and I realize how lucky I am to have the husband and the relationship that I have. We really do so well together and get along great. Despite the stress we were able to be kind to each other and have an enjoyable anniversary. Oh, and despite how broken down Venice is, it really is a beautiful, charming, unique place that really grows on you.

Preston's Journal:
Yesterday was our one-year anniversary. Most of it went great, but parts of it made me want to pull my little-remaining hair out. We tried e-mailing our hotel in Venice from Innsbruck before we left, but their computer wouldn't work. So Amber found an internet cafe while I waited in the car in a parking space so we wouldn't get towed. Then we drove. The northern-Italian mountains are gorgeous, and they have tons of vineyards all over them. Lots of castles too, which I didn't expect. Driving from Innsbruck to Venice took about four hours, most of which was on toll roads. Ended up being 22.20 Euros for the trip! Plus, the GPS took us on a wrong turn as we were nearing Venice. It took us a while to actually get to a parking lot near the train station in Mestre. We then rode the train into Venice. The transportation system is a little confusing, but the guidebook helped a lot. We will definitely pack lighter next time into Venice as well. At the Rialto Bridge we met Rita, who led us to our apartment. She didn't speak much English and walked very quickly, but we made it. At the apartment we met Jeff and Linda from Canada. They're really fun, and we've gotten to know them a little bit. We spent a little bit (60 Euros) on a gondola ride, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Venice is dirtier and falling apart more than I had pictured, but it is still a very neat, unique place. Dinner was next, with some pretty good Italian food. The little bit of walking around, gondola and dinner made for a nice evening on our anniversary. This morning we slept in till almost 9 am, then went out for breakfast, which was weak. We did have a good chat with Jeff and Linda while the breakfast guy stood there watching us eat. As far as starting the day, we started walking about 12:00. We went through the Jewish quarter, which was quiet and peaceful. Rialto Bridge and all the shops were fun> We bought a sandwich and cup of fruit which were both very good. From there we went to St. Marco's Square. Starting with the Correr Museum, St. Mark's Basilica, then the Doge's Palace. Each of these was great. St. Mark's had huge tile frescos all over. The Doge's Palace was the most interesting for me, as it showed the building, but also lots of museum-type stuff as well. It is so cool thinking about walking on the same marble staircase as kings and senators did almost 1,000 years ago here in Venice. The history here is amazing, and the concept of Venice as a city is a marvel. I have ended up liking it a lot more as we have spent more time here. The food is very good, things are a bit pricey, but everything is unique. The little tips from Rick Steves' helped us a lot today, and his books have been a great investment. Overall, despite the driving, Venice has been fun, and I have enjoyed our first anniversary here in Venice. Now more tomorrow, and I'll give some more details and descriptions.


Additional photos below
Photos: 83, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0769s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb