30something birthday


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
May 25th 2008
Published: May 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ciao ! After 3 weeks of montage activity - stock taking, cleaning fridges, jet washing, window cleaning, weeding, clearing gutters and making barbecues, we finally opened on 10th May to a flood of German families. However 35 arrivals over the first weekend passed without a hitch, everyone settled in by 9pm. My German ‘O’ level seems a long time ago so it’s hard to communicate, but ‘Alles klar?’ seems to cover most things.

The karaoke bar held an opening night party with free drinks for all the reps to celebrate. Montage high spirits have already caused me to fall off my bike from too much Spritz on the way back from happy hour at the beach bar. Luckily my 65yr old stalker Bruno appeared as always from nowhere to fix the chain back on my bike. So far disguised under hat and large sunglasses, I have managed to avoid his prying eyes on the beach, but have been chased down the road on my bike with ‘Ciao bella Angelina’ ringing in my ears to much hysteria from the gate staff! Life here is back to normal!

With all the build up to opening day, my birthday had become a bit of an after thought. Was having major issues coming to terms with what I’m doing here at my age and celebrating my last 30something birthday with lots of 20yr olds, so was quite happy to keep the celebrations low key and avoid the whole age discussion. Spritz seemed to be the order of the day. Rachael and Alix got me a complete Spritz making kit as well as cakes with candles. Had brunch at the Jolly Bar, spent the afternoon at the beach and then had dinner with Trudi, Mick & Paul and my reps at the restaurant followed by so many Spritz that I had to push my bike home.

Another birthday over with and I’m happy to report that I’d still rather be here drinking Spritz, having fun, getting tanned and toned in the sunshine than commuting to an office job in London any day. Maybe someday, if they ever start selling Aperol in London, I’ll consider returning to the real world…

Well that was until last weekend when we were being ravaged by storms and dealing with lots of unhappy campers with leaking roofs and broken boilers. Standing up a ladder in torrential rain clearing gutters and putting caps on chimneys is not fun ! Also this week the 2 kidz club reps Holly & Sarah have arrived. I am now sharing my mobile with a very homesick 18year old. Her mum is younger than me !

So far the newbies are a bit reluctant to join in the socialising but last night as most of our guests left at the end of German holidays, we had a team bonding barbecue. Scouse John who also joined us this week from Eurocamp has been entertaining us with his jokes and trying to bring the kidz reps out of their shells. Its going to be another interesting summer !

FYI Spritz: 2 parts Aperol, 3 parts Prosecco, splash of sprite and a slice of orange



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb