Carnivale - Venetian Style


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
February 2nd 2008
Published: February 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Quote of the trip: "Ciao bella North Face!" - This was shouted to Natalie as we were walking around town. This just goes to show that as Americans, we stick out like a sore thumb. Anyway...what a time! We had a long train ride, but it's all good. We were going to sneak Kayleigh into our hotel room, but that was impossible. The guy at the front desk was really nice. He gave Kayleigh a room for 60 euro but it was apparently just for 1 night because today when we got back from our adventures all of her stuff was behind the front desk, but the front desk man let her stay in our room tonight. Shady I know, but what can you do? Last night we went to dinner at a place called Arca. It was good but they charged us 4 extra euro to sit and stuff which I think is a rip off, but again, what can you do but grin and bear it? We got a little lost on the way there too. Melissa and Emily were already there when we got there though. 45 minutes later Natalie, Brittany and Raleigh showed up. We went to San Margherita after that and there was a live band playing Bob Marley songs. I had hot wine for the first time. It tastes good until you get to the bottom and it's all spices or until it get cold, then it's gross. We met some Americans who took us to a crappy discoteca so we left and went home. Today we went to San Marco and saw the Bascillica San Marco, San Marco Square and the palace. I can't believe you have to pay to look in a church. We didn't do if because I felt it was sacrilegious. I mean we went in, but we just didn't pay to see the other rooms. It was also a rather crappy rainy day. We didn't go into the castle either because we didn't even realize it was there until later. Oops! I really need to do better research before I go places. There are also lots of pigeons in San Marco square. They are fairly frightening because they have no concept of person space. Give me the shivers! The guy at the front desk was kind of creepy. He flirted with us way too much for my liking. I bough a black and gold mask. Very pretty and glittery. Kayleigh blew a fuse in our room earlier today when she tried to blowdry her hair but we got it fixed. I bought some Venetian glass souvenirs too. We found Natalie and Brittany on the Big Bridge. We also crossed Ponte Rialto today. The rest of the time we walked around. It's really pretty here though. I like the idea of traveling everywhere by boat. Then again I always have like the water :/ There's not as many people dressed up for Carnivale as I thought there would be 😞 I think it's because of the rain, which is a bummer, o well. END.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Feed the birds...Feed the birds...
Feed the birds...

This is proof that Venetian pigeons are nuts!
Me and Kayleigh terrified of the birdsMe and Kayleigh terrified of the birds
Me and Kayleigh terrified of the birds

About a second after this was taken we were attacked by a herd of pigeons. They flew right at us!
A Gondola RideA Gondola Ride
A Gondola Ride

No, I'm not on it :(
Venetian StreetVenetian Street
Venetian Street

I always wanted to see a street with a clothes line going across it. So quaint!
The Grand CanalThe Grand Canal
The Grand Canal

As seen from the Ponte Rialto
An Awesome Venetian ChandelierAn Awesome Venetian Chandelier
An Awesome Venetian Chandelier

It has deer heads on it!


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb