Venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
January 10th 2008
Published: January 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Every travellers review of Venice is different. I’ve heard it called “a waste of time”, right through to its overruling reputation as one of the worlds “most romantic cities”. Following my recent trip to Italy. I tend to agree with the latter.
After listening to some not-so-glowing reviews of Venice from fellow travellers throughout eastern Europe, I have to say, my expectations of the infamous city were well below average. Most people complained of the crowds, the heat, the smell, the rubbish, and of course…. The prices!
My brother and I arrived in Venice in June 07. After catching the train from Verona, we began searching for our hotel which we had booked prior to arrival. This is where we learnt our first important lesson. Venice really is a maze. Each side street looked the same, after asking a few locals, we ended up more lost than when we started. Do not go to Venice without a good map and a clear idea of how to get from the train station to your hotel. Especially if you are lugging around a backpack and your whole body is crying for bed!
We stayed in a budget motel only a few streets from the station, though it still took us around an hour to find the place!
Of course we payed a ridiculous amount of money to stay in a mediocre room, but there is really no option. You want to see Venice? You put up with the exorbitant prices, because the experience is once in a life time, and as much as we whinge… It is worth it.
We spent the next two days exploring all the side streets (this time with a map) and stopping to admire the talents of the street performers.
We found it very hard to find a good restaurant to eat, and my advice would be to stick to the takeaway stores where you can pick up a baguette, a slice of Pizza, and a cold beer and sit watching the crowds pass by. We found a nice park a small way from the station where we simply set up a blanket, and made sure we were close to a supermarket for the occasional drink and food runs!
Restaurants are well overpriced, and despite the waiters charming attempts to convince you to eat in their café… they soon lose interest in making your experience wonderful when you are seated and have ordered!
A big disappointment for me was the price to ride in a gondola. Especially whilst travelling on a backpacker budget. To splash out this much for a boat ride brings a tear to the eye! On the other hand, it seems to be just one of those things that one HAS to do! We eventually decided on a ride on the public water taxis that run through Venice’s canals. Finding a good seat out the back with the sun on our faces we went through the city marvelling at the beautiful architecture. The city is brimming with culture. It is easy to see why so many people love it.
At nights, we found some lovely café/ bars, and while probably spending way too much money, were able to trade stories with other travellers and compare thoughts on Venice.
Despite its vices, I am convinced that Venice will remain as one of the most beautiful cities I visited in Europe. I’m sure it changes with the time of year, but I would certainly encourage any traveller to visit.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb